Mobile menu

What about MetaTexis? Why pay $120 for the full version when Wordfast is free?
Thread poster: SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner
Local time: 22:20
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2002

I recently downloaded and installed the CAT-tool Meta Texis on my computer. It seems to be similar to Wordfast - but is it? Why pay $120 for the full version when Wordfast is free? Is MetaTexis better?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-17 09:47 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast FULL version free? May 7, 2002

I\'ve been tempted too by the free offer, but then I\'ve realised this was only a (very) light version. Did you find the FULL version free anywhere? That would make the difference with MetaTexis Pro (the one priced @ $120.00, otherwise, the \"light\" one is free as well!).

modilingua  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Wordfast IS in a full version for free Jun 23, 2002

There only is a full version of Wordfast. It is 100% free and completely Trados compatible. See http://www.champollion.net for downloading...

xxxBeernarrd
French to Slovenian
+ ...
being free ... Apr 14, 2003

A copy from champollion:

To use translation memories bigger than 500 TUs or 110 Kbytes, you need to purchase a license.

There are three applicable rates for Wordfast licenses:

The regular rate

for certain countries only, price per license:

170 Euros

The discount rate,

price per license:

50 Euros

The regular rate applies to users who work and/or reside in any of the following countries and their dependencies:

America: The USA, Mexico, Canada.

Europe: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Portugal, Spain, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, The United Kingdom.

Asia/Oceania: Australia, Brunei, Hong-Kong, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan.

\"Near East\": Bahrein, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE.

The bulk rate applies for three licenses ordered and paid in one time.

The discount rate applies to users who do not work/reside in any of the countries listed above.

Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
A very odd pricing system! Apr 14, 2003

Since we are on the topic, I have not used Wordfast for two reasons: one is that MetaTexis does everything I need it to and is free since I have a platinum Proz membership (and the tech support is really fast and good), the other is that I find the Wordfast pricing system, well, very very bizarre...almost offensive. If I order it from the Marshall Islands, where I spend much of my time it is 50 Euros, if I order it from the US it is 170. What kind of business sense does that make? It isn\'t like I get extra features when I am in the US! What if I live in the inner-city of some American metropolis? Why should I pay over 3 times as much as the guy who has retired to a spacious villa in Tahiti? If this is what they consider good sense, I am very skeptical about their product.

Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:50
English to Gujarati
+ ...
User-friendly MetaTexis Feb 26, 2009

Yes Jason I totally agree with you, besides the odd pricing policy, I find MetaTexis much more user-friendly than Wordfast. Though, one has to agree that wordfast is faster than MetaTexis.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about MetaTexis? Why pay $120 for the full version when Wordfast is free?

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs