Working languages vs interest languages
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2004

I have my interest language pairs posted in my profile, but even though I don't translate into anything except EN, I am interested in seeing Qs in reverse, i.e. into my source langauges, or even in other languages that I don't work with, but which interest me.

However, I felt so bad about listing ES - for example - as a target language (just to see Qs, not even necessarily answer them) that I created a big banner on my site that stupidly reminds people that I only translate into EN!

What's more, I don't translate into Irish, but I can and do help out with the odd questions that come up. But becuase it's listed in my profile, I have received enquiries about work.

Is there any way of creating a distinction between working languages and interest languages in the profile? Just so that we don't cringe at the claims we seem to be making, and yet can participate in ProZ for those language combinations?

TIA:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Switch to visitor's view Sep 6, 2004

Hi Ailish,
Your interest languages are invisible. Use the link on top of your profile to switch to visitor's view.

(Note that I have French > German in my profile - can you see that pair?)

HTH, Ralf

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:11
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Language (pairs) of interest Sep 6, 2004

the way to set these in the profile, for those who wish to, is to go to:
Main-Menu =- MyProz =- (dropdown menu) Settings =- Language pairs,
and on the right of each language pair, toggle the red link to "hide this pair in my profile".
With this setting, kudos notifications are received (and the pair is included in the quick link to "my languages" in the kudos menu). But the pairs are only visible to the owner in their profile (appearing in light grey).

[Edited at 2004-09-06 13:35]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Great .... it seems obvious that the feature would have been included..........:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working languages vs interest languages

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs