Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2004

Hi everybody!

I feel desperate.
After working on a translation using Trados, I can't access to the TM.
My story is as follows,
I was translating, almost about to finish using Workbench and my Internet Explorer was open. All of a sudden, some kind of "hot games" appeared on my screen ( I have had lots of Adware, Spyware, etc. recently), followed by lots of errors and everything got blocked. I had to reopen my computer and when I tried several times to access to the TM I couldn't. I checked out if the TM was in my files/folders and of course it was there. Then I clicked the name of the TM in Workbench (File, open) and I was told that "the system cannot find this file".
So I decided to send this TM and all its components to one of my folders and to download my Trados again.
I don't know if it's the right thing, but for me the most important thing right now is to save this TM and finish the translation (deadline is Monday).
Was my decision OK? Any other suggestion?
Thanks everybody.
Bernadette

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Virus check? Oct 24, 2004

Hi Bernadette,
As usual, can you please specify your system info (OS, Trados version, etc.)?

First of all, how do you know that the behaviour was, in fact, caused by a virus? Did you run a virus check? Perhaps more importantly: when did you last update your virus definitions?

I was translating, almost about to finish using Workbench and my Internet Explorer was open. All of a sudden, some kind of "hot games" appeared on my screen ( I have had lots of Adware, Spyware, etc. recently), followed by lots of errors and everything got blocked.

Can you describe this in a bit more detail? What happened excactly? Was there a particular application which no longer reacted, or did the PC lock up completely? Could you still move your mouse? Did the keyboard react?

I had to reopen my computer and when I tried several times to access to the TM I couldn't.

What happened excactly? Did you get an error message?

I checked out if the TM was in my files/folders and of course it was there.

All five files?

Then I clicked the name of the TM in Workbench (File, open) and I was told that "the system cannot find this file".

Can you please give us the exact and full error message.

So I decided to send this TM and all its components to one of my folders and to download my Trados again.

What do you mean by "sending" the TM - did you create a copy of the TM (in which case: did you copy all five files)?

What do you mean by "downloading Trados"? Did you reinstall it?

Admittedly, I'm guessing here, but this sounds as if the TM files were not closed properly when you forcibly shut down your system - IOW your OS might 'think' that these files are still open. If copying the five files to another folder (and opening the TM there) doesn't work, you could try copying the .TMW file only. If you succeed in opening it, you will need to reorganise the TM in order to re-create the four index files.

Is the Word file (assuming you're working on a Word file...) still ok? As a quick workaround, you could create a copy, create an empty TM and clean the file using that TM: this way, you will at least safeguard the work on that file.

HTH, Ralf

Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A virus blocked my Trados Oct 24, 2004

Hi Ralf,

Thans for your valuable help.

Windows Millenium, Trados 6.5 freelance.

Is the Word file (assuming you're working on a Word file...) still ok? As a quick workaround, you could create a copy, create an empty TM and clean the file using that TM: this way, you will at least safeguard the work on that file.

I only missed the translation I had been performing for the last time.

So I decided to send this TM and all its components to one of my folders and to download my Trados again.[/quote]
What do you mean by "sending" the TM - did you create a copy of the TM (in which case: did you copy all five files)?

I finally gave up downloading Trados all over again.
I transferred the 4 Indez files and the .tmw file to one of my folders and fortunately I can open this folder in Workbench. In this folder I have 4 Index files and one .tmw file. However, I also had a .wps file that I didn't know what it was and I erased it. Following your advice, I reorganised the TM. But my question, is this the right thing?

I had to reopen my computer and when I tried several times to access to the TM I couldn't.[/quote]

The only thing I got was "Acesso denegado" (Access denied).

New Thursday a technician is coming home to update my virus system, change to another version of Windows, etc.
Hope this kind of problems are avoided in the future.
Have a nice day.
Bernadette

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Bernadette,

First of all, how do you know that the behaviour was, in fact, caused by a virus? Did you run a virus check? Perhaps more importantly: when did you last update your virus definitions?

I was translating, almost about to finish using Workbench and my Internet Explorer was open. All of a sudden, some kind of "hot games" appeared on my screen ( I have had lots of Adware, Spyware, etc. recently), followed by lots of errors and everything got blocked.

Can you describe this in a bit more detail? What happened excactly? Was there a particular application which no longer reacted, or did the PC lock up completely? Could you still move your mouse? Did the keyboard react?

I had to reopen my computer and when I tried several times to access to the TM I couldn't.

I checked out if the TM was in my files/folders and of course it was there.

All five files?

Then I clicked the name of the TM in Workbench (File, open) and I was told that "the system cannot find this file".

Can you please give us the exact and full error message.

What do you mean by "downloading Trados"? Did you reinstall it?

Admittedly, I'm guessing here, but this sounds as if the TM files were not closed properly when you forcibly shut down your system - IOW your OS might 'think' that these files are still open. If copying the five files to another folder (and opening the TM there) doesn't work, you could try copying the .TMW file only. If you succeed in opening it, you will need to reorganise the TM in order to re-create the four index files.

HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This confirms my suspicion Oct 24, 2004

Hi again,
Windows Millenium

Ouch. Looks like Win ME is unable to access the file as the old 'lock' is still active. IOW the OS 'thinks' someone else is still using the file - access denied is an error message typically occurring in such a scenario.

I finally gave up downloading Trados all over again.

Good. First of all, you should be able to re-install it using your last download (assuming that was the most recent version); also, I don't think this is a Trados issue.

I transferred the 4 Indez files and the .tmw file to one of my folders and fortunately I can open this folder in Workbench. In this folder I have 4 Index files and one .tmw file. However, I also had a .wps file that I didn't know what it was and I erased it.

.wps is a Trados project/filter settings file.

Following your advice, I reorganised the TM. But my question, is this the right thing?

Reorganising means re-creating the database indices from scratch - this can never be wrong. Strictly speaking, it probably wasn't necessary as you also copied the four index files.

BTW the Reply with Quote forum function allows you to respond to particular sentences - no need to repeat it all. Click on the FAQ link at the top of the page to see the forum functions.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A virus blocked my Trados

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs