disclosing ProZ profile Link
Thread poster: Diane Di Biasio
Diane Di Biasio
Diane Di Biasio  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
French to English
Apr 22, 2014

A potential client is asking me for my ProZ profile link.

Is the profile link just a way for them to view my profile? Or should it be kept confidential, like a password or PIN number?

Karahan Sisman
Karahan Sisman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:19
Member (2010)
English to Turkish
As far as I know Apr 22, 2014

They're just trying to learn more about you. I don't think your Proz.com profile link is confidential

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Exactly! Apr 22, 2014

Karahan Sisman wrote:

They're just trying to learn more about you. I don't think your Proz.com profile link is confidential

One's ProZ profile is like a CV, a cover letter and a web-site 3-in-1. It should not be hidden from potential clients.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:19
English to French
Next: where to find it? Apr 22, 2014

Hover the mouse cursor over your name on proz.com (on the trop part of proz pages for instance), right-click and select Copy URL in clipboard or something like this.
Then paste it wherever you wish.

Philippe

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I do understand why they are asking... Apr 22, 2014

Do you have several profiles on Proz.com or does Proz.com have several members with the same name?

... See more
Do you have several profiles on Proz.com or does Proz.com have several members with the same name?

http://www.proz.com/profile/4265
http://www.proz.com/profile/86423
http://www.proz.com/profile/132276
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Yes. Apr 22, 2014

They could easily search for the URL themselves, but perhaps they're trying to work out which of the three is valid.

[Edited at 2014-04-22 16:39 GMT]

Diane Di Biasio
Diane Di Biasio  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
disclosing ProZ profile link Apr 22, 2014

Thanks everyone.

You just can't be too careful these days.

Just today I got e-mails from
- a company saying I won a trip to the Bahamas. Just click the link to claim the prize. Yeah. right!
- an agency out of the blue who wants to give me a huge job at a really juicy rate. They say they need references, so could I please send them the contact info of 3 of my clients. Yeah right!
- an American bank I've never done business with saying someone is try
... See more
Thanks everyone.

Just today I got e-mails from
- a company saying I won a trip to the Bahamas. Just click the link to claim the prize. Yeah. right!
- an agency out of the blue who wants to give me a huge job at a really juicy rate. They say they need references, so could I please send them the contact info of 3 of my clients. Yeah right!
- an American bank I've never done business with saying someone is trying to access my bank account. Just click the link and enter my PIN number. Yeah, right!!!!
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:19
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Emails Apr 23, 2014

Diane Di Biasio wrote:

Thanks everyone.

- an American bank I've never done business with saying someone is trying to access my bank account. Just click the link and enter my PIN number. Yeah, right!!!!

These are just the "regular" spam emails everybody gets. Like I keep getting AT&T spam emails and those from eHarmony. As if I was interested.

Your email address is (should) not available through your ProZ.com profile. Providing references (your ProZ.com profile is sufficient reference) to unknown people is not a good idea. If you display your WWA's on your profile page, then this can provide potential clients with some insight regarding your qualifications.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

disclosing ProZ profile Link

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »