cannot access web-mail
Thread poster: judithyf

judithyf  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:54
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2004

After my computer was reformatted, I changed my password. This enables me to access proz.com, but is not recognized by the mail server. I cannot access everyone.net. Somehow, the two are not synchronised. Please help

Direct link Reply with quote

Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
English to Belarusian
+ ...
A Couple of Questions Nov 26, 2004

judith yalon-fortus wrote:

After my computer was reformatted, I changed my password. This enables me to access proz.com, but is not recognized by the mail server. I cannot access everyone.net. Somehow, the two are not synchronised. Please help

What do you mean by "computer reformatted"?
What has everyone.net to do with proz.com?

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:54
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Similar problem Nov 27, 2004

A few weeks ago I had to format my computer, after that day, there are a few web pages I cannot open. Some of these web sites are www.sitemeter.com or bravenet.com. It's like in my computer these sites don't evn exist, I tried to change to Mozilla, but the result was the same. I even changed my settings and unistall the firewall, but nothing worked, I already gave up on that.

However I haven't had any problem with http://proz.mail.everyone.net. But you can try using the IMAP or POP sever using an email software like Outlook. http://helpdesk.everyone.net/kb.cgi?lang=en

Hope that helps

Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
everyone.net Nov 27, 2004

I was referred to everyone.net by the proz.com support person, Gianfranco. It is the email provider for proz.com. However, it cannot be accessed by a private person but only by an account holder, a fact of which I am sure proz.com must be aware. So although my new password works, it is rejected by the email log-in site and proz.com are refusing to help.

Yuri Smirnov wrote:

What do you mean by "computer reformatted"?
What has everyone.net to do with proz.com?

Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
inaccessible sites Nov 27, 2004

I also ran into the problem of sites that I could not access. I contacted my regular ADSL provider, and they referred me to Microsoft. I was on the phone with Microsoft for about an hour, cleaned all sorts of superfluous stuff off the computer, and now everything works fine. There is no problem with my regular mail service, but I keep the proz.com mail for various things, and now I can't access it, even though I frequently get messages that I have received new mail there.

Caliaa wrote:

A few weeks ago I had to format my computer, after that day, there are a few web pages I cannot open. Some of these web sites are www.sitemeter.com or bravenet.com. It's like in my computer these sites don't evn exist, I tried to change to Mozilla, but the result was the same. I even changed my settings and unistall the firewall, but nothing worked, I already gave up on that.

However I haven't had any problem with http://proz.mail.everyone.net. But you can try using the IMAP or POP sever using an email software like Outlook. http://helpdesk.everyone.net/kb.cgi?lang=en

Hope that helps

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:54
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
~ Nov 27, 2004

So although my new password works, it is rejected by the email log-in site

Just to clarify - is it that you were attempting to log into the webmail account, using your new password for logging in as a member on Proz (rather than whatever separate password you set up for that e-mail account originally, which is what would be needed) ?

Or that it isn't possible to log into the e-mail account, (despite that fact that you are using the password that you originally set up for that e-mail account) ?

Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
log-in problems Nov 27, 2004

Previously, things were simple. The proz.com log-in also served for the web-mail account. Now it is being rejected by it. I was foolish enough to think I had "forgotten" the password, and asked for a new one, so it was changed several times. At one point, I did manage to access the webmail, only to find that it was empty, no messages and no addresses. Proz com support assured me that it was all there somewhere and had not been erased, but that did not help as I have not been able to access it.

Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Thank you, but I have been there, done that. The only response I get is - invalid password. Maybe I should try to recall all possible old passwords and try them one by one. Trouble is, I don't remember them, and the password was previously always the same for proz.com and the webmail...

Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Tayfun,
Looking at your email again, it occurs to me that perhaps I should, as you suggest, click the rubric where it says: forgot my password. Then, I suppose, either they will give me a new password or they will tell me what my old one was. Since the two passwords were always identical, I assumed that if the mail password changed, so would the proz.com password. But perhaps not? Perhaps I should log in to proz.com using the password I have now, and take whatever password comes up for the webmail, and not expect the two to be identical. Is that what you are suggesting? Sorry I'm being rather stupid about this.

Judith

Hebrew to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Tayfun,

Thank you very much for all your help. It was thanks to you that I realized that the two services could have two different user names, passwords, log-ins, whatever.
So now I have managed to access the mailbox. Again, it was empty but for two messages, even though I have been receiving notification of dozens of messages arriving there. However, they do have their own support service (against payment) and I am hoping this will get sorted out and that my mail has not been lost for ever out there in the endless reaches of cyberspace...

Judith

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:54
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
As I was saying above - the password for your webmail account, and your old site membership password Nov 27, 2004

were only the same if you chose the same password when you set up your e-mail account - not otherwise.

I assumed that if the mail password changed, so would the proz.com password. But perhaps not? Perhaps I should log in to proz.com using the password I have now, and take whatever password comes up for the webmail, and not expect the two to be identical. Is that what you are suggesting?

Exactly. If you set up your e-mail account with the same password as you WERE using before, for the site, then that should still be the password for your e-mail account - it won't change to match the site password, because it has nothing to do with it (as I was saying above).

If your old password doesn't get you into your e-mail account, then that should mean that it wasn't the password you set up for your e-mail account, and if you can't remember it you can request another one (by clicking the button) from the people who run the e-mail service.

As Tayfun says, if you had set your e-mail account to "remember [e-mail account] password" then you would have logged in automatically, when you were already logged into the site (with your membership password) - so you wouldn't have used your second (e-mail account) password (it would have been put in for you automatically).
But it doesn't make any difference to what it sounds like you need to do, either way.

LATER:

Ah good, I see you've managed it....

[Edited at 2004-11-27 19:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot access web-mail

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs