Mobile menu

Visual basic giving trouble on MS Word file - Trados?
Thread poster: Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
May 10, 2002

Good evening everyone!

I received a form which was set-up in MS Word by an agency and I run Trados 5 on my machine.

When I opened the form, I could see something written on each line of the form (formtext) and if I tried typing something on the line to answer the question, I could not see my answer on the screen. But, if I print it, I see my answer on the paper...

I looked into it further and since I can open and fill-out the form properly on my husband\'s older laptop (no Trados installed on his computer), from what I can see on my system, Visual Basic is acting up and seems to be related to Trados...

Has anyone encountered any such problem with certain types of forms in MS Word? I have no problems usually and the file opens well on another laptop.

I don\'t really want to remove Trados from my machine to see if I can work on this file (Trados has been working so well on this machine so far, I\'d hate to start playing with it and mess things up!)

I\'m puzzled to say the least... Any Visual Basic pros with advice on the forum?

Thank you

Nathalie

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:57
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No idea at first... May 10, 2002

but you don´t give any information about Word version running on your computers.

Since there are a big differencies between the older and newer versions of Word this may be the reason for what you encountered.

Without seeing the file it´s quite difficult to provide a remote diagnosis.

As I´m running a machine with either TRADOS and Word, so if you don´t mind you could send me this file allowing me to take look on it.

Perhaps it´s only formatting of the fields or even the view settings of your Word on your PC. The view setting may differ for example from then on your husband´s notebook and therefore you can see the fields there. As you can print the document, there should be no interference between TRADOS and Word.

Without uninstalling TRADOS you can try to check it by renaming the template file TRADOS5.DOT (located somwhere in c:\\...\\word\\startup\\TRADOS5.DOT). You have to search for it with the search function of Windows or Explorer or WinCommander or so, and then rename it (temporarily) to TRADOS5.DO_ . Word must not be running at this time. This does not damage the installation of TRADOS, however on the next start of Word you don´t load any support for TRADOS - Word does not know at this time, that TRADOS is there at all. Try to open your file - if it works, so make the necessary changes on it, save it and close word. Afterwards rename the TRADOS5.DO_ back to TRADOS5.DOT and everything will be working again as before.

Please feel fre to contact me directly via my profile, if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards

J. Czopik

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
I've had similar problems with Wordfast May 10, 2002

I had some documents that had objects in them and after working with Worfast the pictures were not displayed on my computer (but on other computers they worked fine), links were only displayed in coded form, etc.).

Since I din\'t know where the problem came from, I reinstalled my whole system. Now, on the clean system I have run Wordfast again and I have the same problem. I am currently looking for someone to reinstall my system again

So if you have Wordfast it might be from that. Otherwise, it is possible that these programs that are supposed to help us are actually messing around with the system and eventually take revenge.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A few possibilities May 10, 2002

Dear Nathalie,

I doubt whether it is possible to solve your problem remotely - just a few thoughts:

- If you have a support agreement with Trados, send them the file and ask them to check what\'s wrong with it.

- You can also try and post a forum message on www.translationzone.com.

One suspicion I have is that it\'s a problem related to text formatting - but the only way to tell is to look at the file. Contact me directly if you want me to have a look at it.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Answer to Eli May 23, 2002

It seems as have you checked the box \"field functions ever shown\". I do not really know the english names in Word, but i´ll try to explain it here.

Search the menu \"Extra(s)\", choose \"Options\" and select \"View\". In the third column you should see two checkboxes. The lower one is possibly checked on your system. Uncheck it, and your problem should be solved.

HTH

Kind regards

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visual basic giving trouble on MS Word file - Trados?

Advanced search

Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs