What is the secret for finding entries in the glossaries?
Thread poster: writeaway
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2004

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but here goes.
I am currently doing a complicated legal doc and despite a 15% chance of success, am trying to see what's listed in the NL glossary. One term was not listed, either in its compound form or by the individual words. So I Googled it and wow-there was a Proz question on Google and in the compound form. this happens very often-glossary says there is nothing and then on Google it shows up. Any suggestions on how to find terms in the glossary
... See more
I'm not sure this is the right forum, but here goes.
I am currently doing a complicated legal doc and despite a 15% chance of success, am trying to see what's listed in the NL glossary. One term was not listed, either in its compound form or by the individual words. So I Googled it and wow-there was a Proz question on Google and in the compound form. this happens very often-glossary says there is nothing and then on Google it shows up. Any suggestions on how to find terms in the glossary straightaway? Why so many Not Listed announcements for terms that are there.
Thanks.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:02
German to English
What is the secret for finding entries in the glossaries? Dec 11, 2004

writeaway wrote:

This happens very often-glossary says there is nothing and then on Google it shows up. Any suggestions on how to find terms in the glossary straightaway? Why so many Not Listed announcements for terms that are there.
Thanks.

Dear writeaway,

Excellent question. Part of the problem is that we have two search engines for the KudoZ glossaries: KudoZ glossaries and KudoZ search and they aren't linked to each other. I raised this issue a long time ago:

"For example, if you enter the German phrase "Grunde nach" - short for "dem Grunde nach" in German to English in Search Glossaries there are no results. But if you enter the same term in KudoZ Search, you find the term and answers."

http://www.proz.com/post/182350#182350

So for now, you have to use both search engines to make sure you've covered all the bases. Can you give us the compound term you were searching? Maybe I can come up with a solution.

Cheers, Kim

[Edited at 2004-12-11 15:31]

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use Google Dec 11, 2004

I've found the same as you, that searching ProZ Glossaries/KudoZ can be done more effectively through Google than through ProZ. So I use it as my method of choice. The Google search can be focused on ProZ by entering these words in the Google search window:

[language] [term] site:proz.com

For example, to find translations of the English word "outlier" from/into Spanish (an often-asked question), enter the following string into the Google search window:

s
... See more
I've found the same as you, that searching ProZ Glossaries/KudoZ can be done more effectively through Google than through ProZ. So I use it as my method of choice. The Google search can be focused on ProZ by entering these words in the Google search window:

[language] [term] site:proz.com

For example, to find translations of the English word "outlier" from/into Spanish (an often-asked question), enter the following string into the Google search window:

spanish outlier site:proz.com

...and voila!

[Edited at 2004-12-11 15:50]
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:02
Catalan to English
+ ...
Googling it Dec 11, 2004

I generally shorten the search even further by simply writing the term + kudoz.

If one exists, it'll always be within the first 10 hits.

Cheers,
Andy

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
partial expression Dec 11, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:

"For example, if you enter the German phrase "Grunde nach" - short for "dem Grunde nach" in German to English in Search Glossaries there are no results.

Using Kim's example, I usually try "Grund" -i.e. only a part of the term- in case "Grunde nach" doesn't return any hits.

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Great tip! Dec 11, 2004

Thanks GoodWords

Antonella

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no 100% match = nothing found at all Dec 11, 2004

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Kim Metzger wrote:

"For example, if you enter the German phrase "Grunde nach" - short for "dem Grunde nach" in German to English in Search Glossaries there are no results.

Using Kim's example, I usually try "Grund" -i.e. only a part of the term- in case "Grunde nach" doesn't return any hits.

No 100% match = nothing found at all (to use Trados-speak ). That a big prob for finding terms in languages with all sorts of case and gender endings... and there are a couple of those around I think..

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
What is the secret for finding entries in the glossaries? Dec 11, 2004

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Kim Metzger wrote:

Yes, you're right, Klaus - I also always search under the lowest common denominator, but you'll also come up empty with "Grund" in Search glossaries. N'est-ce pas?

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So in order to get into Proz glossaries, step one is to leave the site? Dec 11, 2004

andycw wrote:

I generally shorten the search even further by simply writing the term + kudoz.

If one exists, it'll always be within the first 10 hits.

Cheers,
Andy

It's great to know the glossaries can be accessed but what long route to get there!

Margaret Schroeder
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
"|" the Google "OR" operator Dec 11, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Kim Metzger wrote:

Yes, you're right, Klaus - I also always search under the lowest common denominator, but you'll also come up empty with "Grund" in Search glossaries. N'est-ce pas?

Try these:
grund|grunde|grunden kudoz site:proz.com
grund|grunde|grunden glossary site:proz.com
In fact, these searches get too many hits; probably with some additional keywords these searches can be refined to make them more effective.

Margaret Schroeder
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google bar Dec 11, 2004

writeaway wrote:

It's great to know the glossaries can be accessed but what long route to get there!

I highly recommend the Google Bar. Once you have it, you won't want to be without it. With the Google Bar, you can do searches without having to go to www.google.com first.

Moreover, if you use a browser with tabs, such as Firefox, you can keep your ProZ page open and just tab between it and the search page in the same window.

[Edited at 2004-12-11 18:11]

writeaway
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will it work with Netscape 7.1? Dec 11, 2004

GoodWords wrote:

writeaway wrote:

I highly recommend the Google Bar. Once you have it, you won't want to be without it. With the Google Bar, you can do searches without leaving the page you're on.

Moreover, if you use a browser with tabs, such as Firefox, you can keep your ProZ page open and just tab between it and the search page in the same window.

I have Netscape 7.1. and Win 98 II-will the Google Bar work?

Margaret Schroeder
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't know, but I'm sure there is information on this issue Dec 11, 2004

writeaway wrote:

I have Netscape 7.1. and Win 98 II-will the Google Bar work?

Ask the oracle: http://tinyurl.com/5b2mm

DocteurPC
DocteurPC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:02
English to French
+ ...
thanks for the tip Feb 13, 2005

To Goodwords - thanks for the tip on «Googling Proz» - Since I don't have a fast Internet line, it will make a difference because, like writeaway, who asked the original question, I find that the search on Proz itself often does not yield results as good as Google. I do, however, love the Internet search functions because you can open, at least, WordReference,Euroditaucom and Google at the same time for the same search. I wish they would add Probertencyclopedia to that list and Granddictionna... See more
To Goodwords - thanks for the tip on «Googling Proz» - Since I don't have a fast Internet line, it will make a difference because, like writeaway, who asked the original question, I find that the search on Proz itself often does not yield results as good as Google. I do, however, love the Internet search functions because you can open, at least, WordReference,Euroditaucom and Google at the same time for the same search. I wish they would add Probertencyclopedia to that list and Granddictionnaire.comCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the secret for finding entries in the glossaries?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »