How often do you change the encoding?
Thread poster: xxxMihai Badea
xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 21, 2005

We are discussing on the Romanian Forum the issue of the diacritics (the special Romanian marks). When the first Romanian web pages were published on the Internet, it was impossible to use the diacritics because of the technical conditions at that time. Fortunately, the technical conditions improved significantly and now we can use the diacritics on the Web.

Although in most cases a text written in Romanian without diacritics is still understandable, it would be normal to use diacritics in all situations. The correct Romanian language is that with diacritics.

Some of my colleagues are reluctant to the idea of writing with diacritics on the Romanian Forum because they should change the encoding in some situations. For instance, a person who wants to read both the Romanian and the French Fora should change the encoding every time when he/she switches from one Forum to the other.

I’d like to ask you if you are facing the same problem and how you handle it. I think there may be some colleagues translating, for instance, from Greek and Russian into English. There are different encodings for each of the three languages. In order to read all the Fora of interest to them (English, Greek and Russian), should they change the encoding every time or is there a technical solution to avoid that?

Mihai

[Edited at 2005-01-21 20:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:04
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Every time! :)) Jan 21, 2005

Hi Mihai,

We have the same problem when reading Polish forum or KudoZ, since Polish also have its own diactitics. Most of Polish pages in internet have "forced" decoding - that is the browser automatically will switch to Polish fonts. However, AFAIK, this technique is not used in ProZ.com for the simple reason that almost on every page we have words in several different languages. The only solution is to switch encoding manually in your browser everytime you open a page in a different language and also everytime you write something. I do it very frequently - I'm reading English, Polish, French, Korean and Russian fora and kudoZ pages, also different users use different coding standards, so sometimes I have to switch to read different posts on the same page. It's not a big pain, I must say. Frankly, I suffer much more when I have to read Polish written WITHOUT diacritics...that simply hurts my eyes...;)

Best,
Magda

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:04
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
the solution is unicode encoding Jan 21, 2005

Mihai Badea wrote:

I’d like to ask you if you are facing the same problem and how you handle it.

[Edited at 2005-01-21 20:22]

Hi Mihai, if writing in web browser, the best solution for you is to insert unicode encoding before you start typing. Then, while you type, you switch between various local language keyboard. You start in romanian, continue in russian, and then english. It will all be well visible to you. To the readers? This dipends of how the basics of the web page are configured, but much more of whether the readers will get illuminated to shift to the unicode manually, in order to see all the language segments correctly.

When using unicode UTF-8, you will be certain that your writings contain all the necessary information for any language reader.

hth, Dragomir

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Helpful answers Jan 22, 2005

Dear Magda,

I hope your answer will help me to persuade my colleagues that changing the encoding several times per day is not such a big pain. Thank you very much for your help!

Dear Dragomir,

Thank you very much your interesting answer. It seems that Unicode is indeed the solution. I hope a day will come when there will be no need to change the encoding.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How often do you change the encoding?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs