Survey on research on the CAT tools market?
Thread poster: Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:21
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
May 29, 2016

At the moment there's a banner at the top of my home page that says:

Have your say in research on the CAT tools market by Wednesday June 1st for a chance to win up to £250 in Amazon vouchers

However, it doesn't say anything there about who the survey is for, nor anything about the goal of the survey. Clicking on it just takes you to the first question.

Shouldn't we be provided with more information up front than that? Is it being commissioned by ProZ.com themselves? By a corporate sponsor? Is it maybe even a scam just to harvest email addresses?

(edited to correct a typo)

[Edited at 2016-05-29 10:17 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 10:21
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Sheila May 29, 2016

Here is the explanation: http://www.proz.com/topic/302506

The survey has been vetted by the site staff, however, I completely agree that such surveys should not be anonymous.

Natalia

[Edited at 2016-05-29 10:30 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Explanation? May 29, 2016

Just out of curiosity, I have answered the survey without giving my email and it doesn’t seem focused on “how freelance translators see the translation industry and, more specifically, their own business” but on the use of CAT tools…

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Natalie - I'm more worried now May 29, 2016

Natalie wrote:
Here is the explanation: http://www.proz.com/topic/302506

The survey has been vetted by the site staff, however, I completely agree that such surveys should not be anonymous.

I actually queried this survey in the linked thread, when I knew who was proposing it - albeit in a fairly light-hearted way. Now that I see that it's subsequently being presented to us anonymously, I'm definitely worried.

Is it a survey about the translation business, or a survey about CAT tools? And what is the data going to be used for?

Not expecting answers from you, Natalie. Please staff: I'd like a response to this.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Bad survey May 29, 2016

This survey made me think that it was created by someone who has very poor knowledge of translator’s work and of CAT tools. For example, it mentions Wordfast while no such program exists. There are Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Pro and Wordfast Anywhere, the three being very different things. Also, I could not get past a question of “Why did you stop using XX?” with a closed list of answers. I stopped using XX for a couple of reasons but none of them was listed.

My conclusion: th
... See more
This survey made me think that it was created by someone who has very poor knowledge of translator’s work and of CAT tools. For example, it mentions Wordfast while no such program exists. There are Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Pro and Wordfast Anywhere, the three being very different things. Also, I could not get past a question of “Why did you stop using XX?” with a closed list of answers. I stopped using XX for a couple of reasons but none of them was listed.

My conclusion: the survey is ill-designed and not worth answering.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey on research on the CAT tools market?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »