Being asked to log in more frequently at ProZ.com (I use Mozilla 1.7.5)
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:34
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 14, 2005

Not sure if this is a site problem or a problem with my browser/email software.
About half the time now, when I visit the ProZ site, I have to log in. It always used to be automatic.
I use Mozilla as a browser and recently upgraded to version 1.7.5, and the problem dates from about this time. I am also now using Mozilla's built-in email, rather than Thunderbird, after having some problems with that.
I have enabled cookies from ProZ and named the site as a specific one for wh
... See more
Not sure if this is a site problem or a problem with my browser/email software.
About half the time now, when I visit the ProZ site, I have to log in. It always used to be automatic.
I use Mozilla as a browser and recently upgraded to version 1.7.5, and the problem dates from about this time. I am also now using Mozilla's built-in email, rather than Thunderbird, after having some problems with that.
I have enabled cookies from ProZ and named the site as a specific one for which cookies are allowed.
I have ProZ as my home page and I don't have to log in when I go direct to that.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-14 09:41]
Collapse

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
Local time: 20:34
English to Italian
does this happen only with Proz? Mar 14, 2005

It sounds odd, maybe if you had cookies disabled there is some older preference or cookie still stored that conflicts with the current setting? I have no idea, I'm only guessing, and I use a different version but usually trashing all cookies and preferences should fix the problem.

You can also try the reset option, or manually deleting the cookies only, then in the preferences, enable all cookies for any site, go to proz, log in, restart the browser, see if that works. After that,
... See more
It sounds odd, maybe if you had cookies disabled there is some older preference or cookie still stored that conflicts with the current setting? I have no idea, I'm only guessing, and I use a different version but usually trashing all cookies and preferences should fix the problem.

You can also try the reset option, or manually deleting the cookies only, then in the preferences, enable all cookies for any site, go to proz, log in, restart the browser, see if that works. After that, if you want to deny all cookies except the sites you specify, check that option, and add "www.proz.com" as the url in the exceptions list. It should work for all pages of the site.

Make sure that if there is an option that says "accept for currrent session only" it's not checked.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:34
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks, problem solved (I hope) Mar 14, 2005

Thank you for your advice. I experimented with the cookie settings along the lines you suggested, and ProZ now seems OK for URLs in Mozilla Mail.
It affected other sites too. I found that at amazon.com I had to log in, but at amazon.co.uk I did not.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being asked to log in more frequently at ProZ.com (I use Mozilla 1.7.5)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »