Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:15
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 29, 2002

I am trying to use Trados to translate an Excel spreadsheet. I tried to load the spreadsheet in Word since I know that I can use Trados from there. However in the conversion much of the formatting and functions were destroyed so I need to stay in Excel to translate the spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this?

Thx in advance.

Monika

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:15
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m afraid no May 29, 2002

I used TRADOS 3 and could never translate directly within Excel.

First with TRADOS 5 comes a T-Window for Excel, so you don´t need to copy the tables into Word, which doesn´t work everytime.

If you upgrade to Trados 5.5, you are entitled to freely download the T-Window collection with some other T-Windows for less common applications.

The T-Window for Excel works fine, but if there are text-boxes within Excel, they wont be translated. If the spreadsheet
... See more
I used TRADOS 3 and could never translate directly within Excel.

First with TRADOS 5 comes a T-Window for Excel, so you don´t need to copy the tables into Word, which doesn´t work everytime.

If you upgrade to Trados 5.5, you are entitled to freely download the T-Window collection with some other T-Windows for less common applications.

The T-Window for Excel works fine, but if there are text-boxes within Excel, they wont be translated. If the spreadsheet is gathering data from another table or other program, this cells won´t be translated too.

But you have no chance to translate Excel directly with TRADOS 3. And if you plan to upgrade to Office XP, you will need to upgrade to TRADOS 5.5, because this is the only Trados release supporting Office XP.

Kind regards

Jerzy
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Excel <--> Word May 29, 2002

Hello,

sometimes it is possible to copy the tbale of excel to winword.

Maybe it is easier to correct the layout problems after recopying than translate without Trados

Opening Excel files in Winword is always a bad way, becaus winword will destroy too many layout information.

Hans

Adriana Esposito
Adriana Esposito  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
No, you cannot - Cut & paste from Excel to Winword May 29, 2002

as the colleague pointed out. Maybe this advice is stupid, maybe not. I don\'t know how you \"loaded\" the xls file in winword - What I do usually is just an Edit>Select all >Copy from Excel and a paste in a word document. That should preserve your formatting more than if you opened the xls file directly from Winword.

Hope it helps.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Copy and paste won´t work every time May 29, 2002

Since the formulas and formating are going lost - so far my experience.

TRADOS 5.5 is a big improvement.

Go fo promotion now - TRADOS is selling it cheaper yet.

Jerzy

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Risk of truncation when using copy&paste May 29, 2002

In principle, copying an Excel spreadsheet into Word is an alternative. However, if you\'re using Office 97, be aware that cells containing more than 256 characters will be truncated.

As Jerzy pointed out, the T-Window Collection in 5.0/5.5 is quite an enhancement.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:15
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you to all of you May 30, 2002

Thank you for taking time to help me regarding this matter. I am thinking of upgrading my Trados now.

Monika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados 3 be used with Excel?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »