Mobile menu

Received a scam message through my profile
Thread poster: Olga-Translator
Olga-Translator  Identity Verified

English to Russian
Mar 17, 2005

Hello, everyone!

Yesterday I was attacked by a scam e-mail. The person who wrote it found me through my Proz.com profile. He said he was a lawyer. He asked me to help him withdraw money from a bank of europe. Why me? He said his client was a very rich woman and she died in the aircrash of Egyptair Flight 990 in 1999. Before her death she made a deposit of a large sum of money(9,7 million dollars) and all these years he was trying in vain to her extended relatives (who could be next of kin) to be able to get this money and finally he decided to find a person with just the similar surname (and found me). He promised me 2,9 million dollars for this transaction (actually for doing nothing).
The scammer acts from Nigeria, Lagos and this actually a common case.
The e-mail address is nekeschambers@myway.com .
It was blacklisted many times, but under another domain names (not myway.com).
So this is a typical Nigerian scam.
This is very, very unpleasant! Beware!
Did anyone have the same experience and does the Proz.com directory have a scam filtre?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-17 09:56]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-17 09:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:33
English to German
+ ...
Not new, unfortunately Mar 17, 2005

Hi Olga,
Did anyone have the same experience

Yes. Just search the forums for "Nigerian scam".

and does the Proz.com directory have a scam filtre?

What exactly would you like such a filter to do? Blocking such messages automatically is virtually impossible, as spammers will use different e-mails every time.

As soon as a new spammer is discovered, ProZ.com staff will block the e-mail address (and, if appropriate, the domain as well as the IP address). To help site staff in doing this, it's best to submit a Support Request, including the message text as well as the corresponding IP headers.

We had a similar discussion some time ago: www.proz.com/post/168014#168014

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2005-03-17 10:08]

[Edited at 2005-03-17 10:08]

[Edited at 2005-03-17 10:09]

[Edited at 2005-03-17 10:09]

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:33
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, it is the typical Nigerian scam Mar 17, 2005

Dear Olga,
these messages are a nuisance, but not really a cause for concern.

Olga Popereka wrote:
The person who wrote it found me through my Proz.com profile.

They write to everybody they can possibly do. Please note that your registered email address is not visible or communicated to the persons visiting your ProZ.com profile, unless you disclose it answering. Don't answer. Ever.
Your email address would end up in more scammers lists, and answering you would have given it to them.

Olga Popereka wrote:
He said he was a lawyer. He asked me to help him withdraw money from a bank of europe. Why me?

He/she is not a lawyer. There is no money. They write to everybody. Not you in particular.
I receive 2 to 5 similar messages per week, but my email provider has a strong filter in place. Probably, without filter, I would receive several scam messages every day. Occasionally I receive them from my ProZ.com profile, when scammers visit the site.

Olga Popereka wrote:
...finally he decided to find a person with just the similar surname (and found me).

They write to everybody and claim to have picked the name because it is similar to a very rich and very unfortunate multimillionaire.

Olga Popereka wrote:
He promised me 2,9 million dollars for this transaction (actually for doing nothing).

If you answer the next step is to ask you for some relatively little advance money, to cover for some expenses and make available the larger sum of money. They are after the advance money.

Olga Popereka wrote:
So this is a typical Nigerian scam.

Yes.

Olga Popereka wrote:
This is very, very unpleasant! Beware!

Not dangerous. Perhaps mildly amusing. In the long run, it is boring.

Olga Popereka wrote:
Did anyone have the same experience and does the Proz.com directory have a scam filtre?

Currently not. And any filter would let some of them through. A very strict filter could block legitimate messages. We let the receipient to deal with these messages, deleting them.
We also act immediately and try to block the source, but they are writing always from different places.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-03-17 13:41]

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
Member (2004)
English to French
Here's some useful links Mar 17, 2005

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams/west_african_e.htm
and
www.phonebusters.com

I receive fraudulent letters every week. I systematically forward them to info@phonebusters.com

Nina

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
nothing really worth having is free....some things are just really too good to be true Mar 17, 2005

Basic premises.

Anything - absolutely anything - that comes through the Internet and emails that offers ANY kind of freebie, or 'easy' way to make money, or absolutely anything else that sounds even just a little bit too good to be true, is simply a scam of one sort or another. Nothing in this life that is worth having is free. And anything that is offered free has strings of some kind attached, or is intended to deceive or mislead you in some way.

Signed:
Cynical
Barcelona

Olga-Translator  Identity Verified

English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Mar 17, 2005

Thanks, everybody!

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 13:33
English to Russian
+ ...
Hey, don't sell yourself cheap:-) Mar 17, 2005

I was offered 15% on a $25 million inheritance should I present myself as a relative before the immirgation. See how much more I worth:-):-):-):-). A Russian passing for a Nigerian:-):-) Are they color-blind too:-)

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
Member (2004)
English to French
Or a Russian from Brazil Mar 18, 2005

I got one this week, posing as a Russian with a Brazilian e-mail address. It's not only in Nigeria, it's all over the world!

Nina

xxxAdrian MM.
French to English
+ ...
At worst failed law students, at best under-employed lawyers & accountants Mar 18, 2005

I've been receiving these scam letters, one referring to non-existent names of victims of the Paris Concorde plane crash and hijacking an agricultural bank name in Ghana.

According to the London Metropolitan Police and Scotland Yard, some letters are deliberately misspelt to be misleading and elicit sympathy.

More sinister, a few real hard-up African/East European lawyers and accountants are supposed to be involved in the scams that need only a few victims to make them pay.

I thought one scammer was a failed law student as the letter fused the name of Koffi Annan, as usual, and an African woman Barrister in London who used to be a Bar teacher and examiner.

It had the bare bones of a genuine probate advertisement for missing beneficiaries, then went on to describe the wrong procedure and ended with a ludicrous invitation to deposit $20 million funds out of court with me.

I offered my services to the writer in case s/he should be caught & arrested and was met with a pathetic insistence on the trueness of the story.

[Edited at 2005-03-21 09:42]

davidgreen
German to English
check out 419eater.com Mar 20, 2005

it's funny, read the forums, these are people who string along the scammers pretending to be potential victims (don't do it yourself unless you read a bit in their FAQ section first) and make them waste lots of time (taking away time they would otherwise have to scam real victims).
Anyway, it's funny stuff.
And just a bit of advice: whenever you receive an email that you aren't sure about, just type a proper name or less common phrase from the email itself into google plus the word "hoax" and you'll usually find people talking about the hoax.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Received a scam message through my profile

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs