Mobile menu

Questions about availability,jobs and RSS
Thread poster: Ruxi

Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Mar 26, 2005

Today I noticed a new feature in our profile, that is, the possibility to set up our availability.
I too was thinking of a suggestion regarding the translators and their promotion on this site.
As I always received negative reactions (from the site) regarding my suggestions, I decided to give up bringing ideas and to withdraw (at least for a while) from fora.My last suggestion couldn't even receive answers anymore, though it was an interesting discussion and people were interested. It was locked and it hurt me so much.
Now I am back because I have 3 questions:
1. Is this availability related to offers from outsourcers, saying were are free for the moment and accept jobs, or related to our e-mail adresses, saying we can be reached by e-mail (and also showing our e-mail adress).
2. What is the meaning of that RSS mentioned at some fora (in blue)?
3. Coming back to my suggestion: would it be possible and a good idea to show a little table on the homepage where, instead KudoZ points and other unuseful matters, where translators for some languages can put their anounce for searching jobs?
I mean a table jut like for outsourcers. There are are people who have a lot to work and people who are free for a period of time and would like to receive a job. So in such atabel they can show this matter: I am available and looking for a job in the language-pairs X,Y,Z, for the fields X,Y,Z.
Outsourcers do not search the entire register of translators when they have jobs and they may write exactly to people who are already busy, while the others are waiting.
Besides: there are so many translators registered, many of them only for asking a question on KudoZ.
This table would be give transaltors the same chances as for the outsourcers.Otherwise it seems so unfair, that only outsourcers can search and select.Let us tray the other way arround and select search ourselves, may be even select outsourcers (if more offers).
What do you think?

Ruxi

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Some answers Mar 26, 2005

Dear Ruxi,
see below some quick answers to your three questions.

Ruxi wrote:
1. Is this availability related to offers from outsourcers, saying were are free for the moment and accept jobs, or related to our e-mail adresses, saying we can be reached by e-mail (and also showing our e-mail adress).

The feature is announced and explained here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/30722

Please note that it is intended as a simple tool to show immediate availability, and further improvements and sophistication will come in the future.

Email addresses are never shown, unless you post them in your profile. All site members can be reached at their primary email address, but it is never shown, unless they want to.

Ruxi wrote:
2. What is the meaning of that RSS mentioned at some fora (in blue)?

RSS means Reaaly Simple Syndication, and you will find on the Internet plenty of information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(protocol)
http://www.2rss.com/articles.php
http://www.commoncraft.com/archives/000528.html

and plenty of sofware, mostly free:
http://allrss.com/rssreaderswindows.html
http://www.hebig.org/blogs/archives/main/000877.php

Ruxi wrote:
3. Coming back to my suggestion: would it be possible and a good idea to show a little table on the homepage where, instead KudoZ points and other unuseful matters, where translators for some languages can put their anounce for searching jobs?
I mean a table jut like for outsourcers.

This role is covered by the Freelance directory, recently redesigned.

I personally don't see the need to provide a front page visibility. Moreover, the sheer quantity of members having exactly the same need (market their services), and the diversity of languages, specializations and skills would make a listing on the front page not useful, not detailed enough.
How much attention can attract a single line, for each translator, and inevitably with very little information?

In addition to the directory listing, ProZ.com members have a personal space in their profile to put forward their message.
The secret is to use it at the best, to appeal to any potential customer visiting it, from whatever direction they come from, not only from the directory searches, but also from a search engine or any other part of the site, including outsourcers receiving from us an offer for a job posted by them.

Ruxi wrote:
Outsourcers do not search the entire register of translators when they have jobs and they may write exactly to people who are already busy, while the others are waiting.

Outsourcers do search the directory, and the new availability feature is a (small) step intended to help save a bit of time for all parties.

Ruxi wrote:
This table would be give transaltors the same chances as for the outsourcers.Otherwise it seems so unfair, that only outsourcers can search and select.Let us tray the other way arround and select search ourselves, may be even select outsourcers (if more offers).

This is what is happening already, with the listing of jobs.
When you see a job appearing in your language pairs and specialization subject, you can decide if you want to contact them or not.
If there are no jobs offered, there is no point in placing names in the front page. Believe me, that is not going to bring anything to anyone.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-03-26 14:57]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions about availability,jobs and RSS

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs