Text in Word (2000) picture objects - help!
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:36
German to English
+ ...
Jun 3, 2002

Does anyone know how to solve the problem of text in Word 2000 picture objects showing up as a series of individual boxes for each line of text? I right click on the picture and choose \"Edit picture\" which opens it up and displays boxes of text. But each line of text is displayed in a separate box and since they only contains a word or two each, this is really a pain to edit and count. Can I get each \"set\" of text boxes to appear in a single text box somehow (by converting to a different for... See more
Does anyone know how to solve the problem of text in Word 2000 picture objects showing up as a series of individual boxes for each line of text? I right click on the picture and choose \"Edit picture\" which opens it up and displays boxes of text. But each line of text is displayed in a separate box and since they only contains a word or two each, this is really a pain to edit and count. Can I get each \"set\" of text boxes to appear in a single text box somehow (by converting to a different format or something)? I tried grouping and ungrouping but that didn\'t seem to help.Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
German to English
+ ...
not sure there's much you can do Jun 3, 2002

My bet is that the picture was originally generated using some other application, and Word \'helpfully\' separates the text into individual boxes (this based on experience with Word 98 displaying the text of graphics imported from a different application with one box per character (!)).

If so, it\'s best to edit the graphics using the application originally used to generate them. Otherwise you are probably stuck with what Word gives you.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sounds like MS Word graphics... Jun 3, 2002

...and I\'m afraid there\'s not a lot you can do - Word graphics are probably the worst possible thing to edit. So unless you can get hold of the original object, the only way out is to provide the chart text in a separate file - assuming your customer will accept that...

cheungmo
cheungmo
English to French
+ ...
Editing picture objects in Word Jun 3, 2002

Select the object and right-click, select \"Edit the picture\" (or whatever it says). Word will open a new window; the image edition sub-program. A warning: its quite slow.

If you\'re lucky, you won\'t be stuck with an AutoCAD drawing with six hundred million objets...

For Macs, I believe the equivalent to \"right-click\" is \"Hold the mouse key down\".

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm really afraid you can do not much about it Jun 3, 2002

since this is the sort of graphics some people use. They create a lot of text boxes and put a word or two in it.

What you could try is to select the first text box. After that a set of tools must appear, containig a symbol looking like chain. It is a symbol for connecting text boxes. I tried it in Word by drawing some boxes and selecting the first, then clicking on the chain, clicking on the second box, clicking on the chain, clicking on the next box and so on...

It worked,
... See more
since this is the sort of graphics some people use. They create a lot of text boxes and put a word or two in it.

What you could try is to select the first text box. After that a set of tools must appear, containig a symbol looking like chain. It is a symbol for connecting text boxes. I tried it in Word by drawing some boxes and selecting the first, then clicking on the chain, clicking on the second box, clicking on the chain, clicking on the next box and so on...

It worked, so I could put text, and after the first box was full the further text was automatcially transfered to the next box. Maybe it will be some help for you.

Jerzy
Collapse

Barbara Cattaneo
Barbara Cattaneo
English to Italian
+ ...
I had a similar problem Jun 4, 2002

I think the original \"picture\" was in a power point format. I had a similar problem (not solved at all - unfortunately): I had to click on each box of text and overwrite the translation. Smile: I had some 38 slides!!! ciao

Barbara

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Another variant of this problem Jun 4, 2002

I personally get people making long tables this way, which I totally fail to understand. This is bad enough but do you ever open these picture objects and find that the text in the boxes automatically resizes itself, say from 11 to 13 points? I would love to know if there is a way to stop that happening.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The real solution is to get the original file(s) from the client Jun 4, 2002

I went through that myself and that was a nightmare. And, to make it worse, I\'ve got to warn you that

-> you won\'t be able to count the number of words once you closed the edited picture (Word will skip these when counting),

-> the size of the file might increase to a multiple of the original file size.

If the client does not give you the file for some reason (e.g. the file was deleted in the meantime, it was a logical file only, or the exact data are
... See more
I went through that myself and that was a nightmare. And, to make it worse, I\'ve got to warn you that

-> you won\'t be able to count the number of words once you closed the edited picture (Word will skip these when counting),

-> the size of the file might increase to a multiple of the original file size.

If the client does not give you the file for some reason (e.g. the file was deleted in the meantime, it was a logical file only, or the exact data are \"hush-hush\"= just a chart is available etc.), I would suggest

- either to provide the titles in a separate file and let the client make the inserts (this is the only way to make them understand what they expected you to go through) or

- charge a special rate (e.g. lump sum per chart, taking account of the time spent: this won\'t be translation, but mostly formatting - this is what I did).

Another bad news: those boxes are sometimes \"resizeable\" (with an automatic adaptation to the new length of the text), but only if the original file was written that way. If not, you\'ll have to resize the boxes one by one.

Also, watch out: if you first delete the text in the box to put the translated text in, absolutely unexpected fonts/styles might come up (again, according to the settings of the very first file). The easiest solution to this problem is not to delete the whole of the source text - I left the first word intact - coming back to deleting it when the input for that box is done.

I know these are all bad news, I wish you luch with the client!
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Hi Daina! Jun 4, 2002

The problem is that the files were generated using a program that is not supported by your computer. For example, if the graphics are embedded powerpoint files, have been properly embedded as such, and you have powerpoint on your PC, you ought to be able to edit them in the powerpoint by double clicking on the graphic or by using your right mouse button and clicking \"edit picture\" or whatever it is called in English.

However, if the picture was generated in a program you d
... See more
The problem is that the files were generated using a program that is not supported by your computer. For example, if the graphics are embedded powerpoint files, have been properly embedded as such, and you have powerpoint on your PC, you ought to be able to edit them in the powerpoint by double clicking on the graphic or by using your right mouse button and clicking \"edit picture\" or whatever it is called in English.

However, if the picture was generated in a program you don\'t have on your computer or if it hasn\'t been properly embedded, then you\'re stuck with that fun game of clicking into and changing the size of the individual boxes.....

THe other alternative is to contact your customer and tell them about the problem. You could suggest entering a table below the graphic with the correct translations of the respective terms - sometimes this is much faster than editing the graphic.

Hope that helps a bit, and love to Zinta and Matt.

Alison
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:36
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot... Jun 5, 2002

...at least I can comiserate! Even more problematic than translating is counting, but I decided that if this comes up again I will copy the text from each box into a separate doc as I translate. That way at least I don\'t have to open all the boxes again.

Thanks again!

PS (Alison - hi to Paul and Mairi, too, and the new addition)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text in Word (2000) picture objects - help!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »