Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:58
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 7, 2002

Is there any way to type over text in powerpoint without displacing it?

What is the best method for translating slides with a lot of text?

I would appreciate any advice as I am new to powerpoint!

Thank you.

Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
more context,, please Jun 7, 2002

I mean, can you be more precise about your problem? I usually type over slides without any problem (except that the translations into Spanish are most of the times much longer than the original English text and sometimes I have to reduce the size of the fonts or enlarge the frame around the text).

I\'m not sure whether I\'ve caught the point of your problem, should you need any further assistance, you can freely contact me via e-mail.

Regards.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Describe your problem in more detail... Jun 7, 2002

Hi Evi,

Quote:

On 2002-06-07 15:20, evi 12 wrote:

Not 100% sure what you mean by \"displacing\" - as with any other Office application, it\'s possible to highlight text in PowerPoint and to replace this by new text. That said, be careful not to highlight the invisible CR/LF [carriage return/line feed - a line break] charact... See more
Hi Evi,

Quote:

On 2002-06-07 15:20, evi 12 wrote:

Not 100% sure what you mean by \"displacing\" - as with any other Office application, it\'s possible to highlight text in PowerPoint and to replace this by new text. That said, be careful not to highlight the invisible CR/LF [carriage return/line feed - a line break] character at the end of a line - this might indeed distort some of the formatting.

If you\'re not sure what I mean, highlight an entire line (e.g. by clicking on the left of the line). Now hold down the key and move the cursor one position to the left. See what happens to the highlight? That\'s the difference between just highlighting the text and including the line break.

Quote:

What is the best method for translating slides with a lot of text?

1. Trados T-Window for PowerPoint

2. Copy & paste text into Word (easier to handle, but you\'re bound to lose the formatting)

HTH - best regards, Ralf ▲ Collapse

Adalbert Kowal
Adalbert Kowal

German to English
+ ...
editing in powerpoint Jun 7, 2002

It is not really important how much text there is in a slide. The text always is in a sort of textfield. So first click onto the textfield to make the mark of the field visible (corners and frame of the text field). After that you can set your cursor into the field by clicking any point in the field. If the text is to be replaced by the translation, I usually first write my translation immediately after the sentence(s) I want to translate and after checking my translation I cut it and paste it a... See more
It is not really important how much text there is in a slide. The text always is in a sort of textfield. So first click onto the textfield to make the mark of the field visible (corners and frame of the text field). After that you can set your cursor into the field by clicking any point in the field. If the text is to be replaced by the translation, I usually first write my translation immediately after the sentence(s) I want to translate and after checking my translation I cut it and paste it at the place of the original text.Thus one avoids to spoil the functioning of the representation afterwards. I hope this helps.Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would do this in this way Jun 7, 2002

As stated abov, Power Point makes text boxes in each slide. You have to clik in the box t place the cursor on the first character of the sentence to be translated. You can start then to type your translation. If the text is formated properly, there will be no problem with deleting the original text after your translation has been put in.

If there are not properly formated lists with bullets or stars or something like this, you can easily restore the proper formating using the switch fo
... See more
As stated abov, Power Point makes text boxes in each slide. You have to clik in the box t place the cursor on the first character of the sentence to be translated. You can start then to type your translation. If the text is formated properly, there will be no problem with deleting the original text after your translation has been put in.

If there are not properly formated lists with bullets or stars or something like this, you can easily restore the proper formating using the switch for such lists, which is identical to such one in Word.

If your text ist longer you can: reduce the spacing beetwen the lines by marking the paragraphs and then selecting FORMAT LINE SPACING. You can select the whole text on the slide with CTRL+A and then reduce the font size. Click in the field with font size and enter the rigt number via keyboard, as Powerpoint shows only 12 14 16... and so on points. You can enter 21 or 13 what you need.

HTH

Jerzy
Collapse

PaulaMac (X)
PaulaMac (X)
French to English
+ ...
Outline view Jun 7, 2002

I think Evi means she is unable to type over using the Insert key. In Powerpoint, go to the bottom left hand corner and click on the \"Outline\" icon. You can\'t type over text in that view, but you can replace it. Then just run through the \"Slide View\" to make sure all the text was shown in Outline (sometimes it isn\'t and you have to replace in the actual slide). This is much faster than clicking in and out of text boxes in the slides.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing text in powerpoint

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »