Mobile menu

Why is my text cut out?
Thread poster: Eva T
Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2005

I usually write down my text in a word format, then I paste it into my posting.
Today I did the same thing as every other time and part of text that I wrote was left out twice. Can you tell me why?

Also, some of the Albanian letters look funny in my postings in the Albanian forum. Instead of seeing the letter "ë", I see "??" (question marks). Why is this happening? Thank you for your help.

Eva

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:35
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Character encoding can change. Jul 13, 2005

I can't help with your first question, the same thing has happened to me, but not often.
The second one is a matter of character encoding, which can become changed, e.g. if you go into Google, open a page from search and then back into ProZ - it may become Unicode UTF-8 instead of what was set there before. The sign of this is that non-standard characters are shown as question marks. To cure it, go to View > Character Encoding > and change the selection from Unicode UTF-8 to your normal one (presumably Central European Windows-1250). But before doing so, save anything you have typed into an open window, because it will disappear when you change the encoding.

Arthur Allmendinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:35
English to German
+ ...
Do you always use the same browser? Jul 13, 2005

Eva T wrote:
I usually write down my text in a word format, then I paste it into my posting.

I have sometimes similar problems with Internet Explorer, but I never had any problems with Mozilla Firefox.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:35
English to German
+ ...
Forum code may be an issue Jul 13, 2005

Good morning,
Did these postings contain special characters (in particular pointed brackets)? These might me misinterpreted by the forum software. You can check this by responding to your own (truncated) posting using Reply with quote.

If that isn't the reason, I'd suggest to submit a Support Request to ProZ.com staff, quoting the URL of the topic, or of the post.

Best regards,
Ralf

Eva T
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jack, Arthur and Ralf Jul 13, 2005

I use Internet Explorer Browser. I changed the Encoding and it is working perfectly now. Thank you all for your help with this problem. Have a nice day everyone.

Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is my text cut out?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs