Mobile menu

How do I convert a scanned j2 file or .tif file into word format?
Thread poster: xxxBBaur
xxxBBaur
United States
Local time: 11:31
English to German
+ ...
Jun 24, 2002

Does anybody know how to convert a scanned j2 file or .tif file into word format?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:31
English to German
+ ...
Have you tried OCR? Jun 24, 2002

You didn\'t provide any details as to what that file contains, but my guess is that you scanned some text and would like to use it in Word.

What you need to use to \"read out\" scanned files is OCR (=optical character recognition) software, such as OmniPage Pro or Abbyy Fine Reader. The process is not perfect, but if you have a good scanner, it should definitely be quicker than typing the document.

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Schwierig... Jun 24, 2002

Morgen Birgit,

Ralf hat recht, ohne OCR-Software geht nicht.

Und auch dann... die Seiten müssen eingescannt werden, was bei einem längeren Text dauert.

Die Formatierung geht aber meist dabei verloren. Es heißt, es bedeutet noch sehr viel Arbeit!

Herzliche Grüße

Geneviève

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In case you want to place some illustrations Jun 24, 2002

in Word, you do not need to convert a TIF-file, but only to put it in Word as graphis. Word has a lot of graphic filters, allowing to place (or connect) graphic files in Word documents.

If you wish to process scanned text with word, you need first to recognize this text with a good OCR software (as Ralf states, Omnipage or Abyy Fine Reader), and then save it as a Word document. IMHO Abyy Fine Reader works a bit better than other OCR tools, because it deals even with Polish, and this language makes problems for many other tools.

Jerzy

xxxBBaur
United States
Local time: 11:31
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast and OCR Software Jun 24, 2002

Thanks for all your answers.

I got text for translation as TIF file and I wonder if I had the OCR software or Abbey Fine Reader would e.g. Wordfast be able to recognize it then and could I do the translation with Wordfast.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, it can be done Jun 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-24 15:48, bbaur wrote:

I got text for translation as TIF file and I wonder if I had the OCR software or Abbey Fine Reader would e.g. Wordfast be able to recognize it then and could I do the translation with Wordfast.

Without knowing Wordfast, I take it you need some sort of text file (.doc, .rtf or even .txt). The TIFF format (which is typical for a scanned, or faxed file) is essentially just a mass of pixels in a graphics file (i.e. illegible as text). OCR software \"reads\" these graphics and turns them into a text file - Wordfast should be usable then. Exactly how much effort is required for this process depends on a variety of factors: source language (English shouldn\'t be a problem), graphics resolution (a fax usually IS a problem), formatting, etc.

Contact me directly if you have further questions.

Good luck!

Ralf

Olaf Leichssenring  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
FineReader Pro 4.0 Jun 25, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-24 15:48, bbaur wrote:

Hallo Frau Baur!

FineReader Pro 4.0 liegt derzeit verschiedenen Computerzeitschriften als Heft-CD bei. Diese sehr gute aber nicht mehr aktuelle OCR-Software eignet sich hervorragend zur Lösung Ihres Problems, denn die Erkennungsrate des Programms ist auch bei schlechten Quellen recht hoch und die Formatierung bleibt weitestgehend erhalten. Ich habe mit diesem Programm schon eine Reihe von ziemlich schlechten Fax-Kopien, die gescannt und zu einer PDF-Datei zusammengefasst waren, nach RTF \"konvertieren\" und anschließend mit Word/Trados bearbeiten können.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I convert a scanned j2 file or .tif file into word format?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs