Mobile menu

erratic term search results for partial matches
Thread poster: Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
German to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2005

(I realise that this topic has been raised before, but that was a while ago and the problems persists.)

One of the valuable features of Proz Term Search is that ability to search for partial matches (i.e. not full words and not exact matches), particulary in languages such as Dutch and German that often form compound words. However, lately the results seem to be rather erratic.

For instance, if I search for 'voorziening' in Dutch with 'Whole words only' NOT checked and 'Match exact phrase' NOT checked, I only find entries that have 'voorziening' as a single word or at the beginning of a word, but not entries with 'voorziening' the end of the word (e.g. 'informatievoorziening'). Similary, a search for 'kunde' in Duitch with the same settings returns only entries that contain the German word 'Kunden', but it does not return any entries for 'xxxxkunde' (such as 'informatiekunde') in Dutch.

As best as I can remember, it used to be possible to do 'proper' partial match searches.

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:23
German to English
Web term vs. Kudoz term searches Sep 26, 2005

I'm not sure whether is is an explanation or a description of a symptom, but here goes.
There's a difference in the defaults between the "Proz.com term search" and the "web term search".
When you carry out a "Proz.com term search" on say Kunde in DE>EN the check box for "whole words only" is not ticked, as default, so you get one set of results.
If you go to "Web term search" the "whole words only" default is ticked so a search on Kunde returns a different set of results. In the web term search options, "whole words only" is not a selectable option in your initial search. Only when the results come back can you remove the tick from the "whole words only" box.
Do your search returns suit your purpose better if that pesky box is correctly checked/unchecked?
HTH
DB

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply to Daniel Sep 26, 2005

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the comments. I'm not using Web Term Search, just ProZ.com Term Search. 'Whole words only' is disabled (not ticked), as is 'Match exact phrase'. I have KOG, Kudoz archive, Members personal glossaries and Glosspost selected as the source databases (I also tried it with Glosspost not selected, with the same results).
From what I see, it appears that the search engine only recognises non-whole-word matches if the search string appears at the beginning of a 'word' (i.e., no alphabetic characters ahead of the search string).

For instance, a search for 'kunde' with the source language specified as Dutch and no target language specified returns (for example) hits for 'zeevaarts(kunde)' and '(-arts of -kunde)', as well as some German target terms begining with 'Kunde', but it does not return hits for (e.g.) wiskunde, taalkunde, informatiekunde, etc., which are in fact present in the database(s), as can be seen by searching for those terms.

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
no plurals, no case endings Sep 28, 2005

Kenneth Cox wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the comments. I'm not using Web Term Search, just ProZ.com Term Search. 'Whole words only' is disabled (not ticked), as is 'Match exact phrase'. I have KOG, Kudoz archive, Members personal glossaries and Glosspost selected as the source databases (I also tried it with Glosspost not selected, with the same results).
From what I see, it appears that the search engine only recognises non-whole-word matches if the search string appears at the beginning of a 'word' (i.e., no alphabetic characters ahead of the search string).

For instance, a search for 'kunde' with the source language specified as Dutch and no target language specified returns (for example) hits for 'zeevaarts(kunde)' and '(-arts of -kunde)', as well as some German target terms begining with 'Kunde', but it does not return hits for (e.g.) wiskunde, taalkunde, informatiekunde, etc., which are in fact present in the database(s), as can be seen by searching for those terms.

Hi Kenneth,
I am currently using it for German and if plurals, conjugated verbs and case endings show 'no hits' while singular, infinitives and words with case endings removed all provide hits. a bit frustating.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

erratic term search results for partial matches

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs