Thread poster: Rufino Pérez De La Sierra

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 12, 2002

Hello all!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I really need to know, Can you translate a .pdf (Adobe Acrobat) file in Trados? and if so, how?

Thanks all in advance!

Rufino

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Asis  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
With Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Jul 12, 2002

Hi Rufino,

I remember I once converted the .pdf in a .doc file by selecting with the Text Select Tool, copying and pasting.

Or maybe you could try by saving as .rtf,

and then apply Trados.

Please, comment to us if it works.

I\'ve tried a search in the Proz search box, but it didn\'t give me any results.

Good luck!

Maria José

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You need to convert the PDF Jul 12, 2002

You cannot edit PDF files in any CAT tool I know of - which isn\'t surprising, since PDF is specifically used to transport content in a way that can be used across platforms, but cannot be altered.

As Maria pointed out, saving the PDF file in RTF format is an option - but to do this, you will need Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (the full version, not just Acrobat Reader). However, there are a few alternative tools around.

One drawback to using PDFs for translation is that usually you will lose some of the formatting in the extraction process. Wherever possible, it\'s preferable to use the original file used to create the PDF.

Here are a few interesting forum threads:

www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=2574&forum=19&start=0

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=20821&post=23281#23281

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=20821&post=17736#17736

These should answer most of your questions.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Extract teh text with Gemini Solo Jul 12, 2002

and then enter the text document into Trados

In haste

Mats Wiman

PS. PDF files are basically picture files

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!! Jul 12, 2002

Thank you all for your comments, suggestions and ideas.

Ralf: Your links truly helped a lot!!

Thanks again!

So long

Rufino

xxxTService  Identity Verified
English to German
Do it the hard way... ;) Jul 12, 2002

Aloha, Rufino !

I often face the problem of extracting text out of PDF documents for copying and pasting them into Word.

You CAN select the whole text - use the latest version of Acrobat as it offers a column select tool that\'s quite suitable for that task and others; especially for selection whole columns. But you\'ll encounter some problems as while copying some formattings (the others already mentioned it) simply vanish: You have to remove lots of line breaks manually.

The second problem\'s that Acrobat messes around with the order of the paragraphs. DO NOT rely on the order of the copied paragraphs, especially if there are some graphics in between.

You\'ll have to rearrange them.

So do it the hard way: Select one paragraph using the column select tool, copy it into the clipboard and paste it into word. Remove unnecessary line breaks, translate the paragraph and continue with the next one.

After a while you\'ll get pretty used to this procedure.

I am sorry that I cannot offer you a more convenient solution. If you find one - please let me know.

Greetings;

Joern.

Angelica Portales  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gemini Solo Jul 12, 2002

Hey Rufino,

You can use Gemini Solo (www.iceni.com) and extract all the text from a PDF file to a rtf file. It\'s the best option to forget about line breaks! It even has an option to select columns, boxes, etc., as \"articles\" to be exported in the appropriate order.

I find it very useful!

Hope to help. Good luck!!

Angélica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating .pdf files with Trados?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs