Mobile menu

How to clear Trados source text in Word?
Thread poster: Christina Clark

Christina Clark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:09
English to Danish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2002

Hi!

Can anyone tell me how to hide the Trados source text in Word? I just want to print out my target translation and have a quick look throught it without the interferring source text. I have done it before, but I can\'t remember how...

Thank you so much for your help

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-24 06:10 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Angelica Portales  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Uncheck hidden text Jul 24, 2002

Go to Word menu:

Tools -> Options

In the Options dialog, click on the Print tab. In the middle area (\"Include with document\" or something alike; I have a Spanish version), uncheck the \"Hidden text\" option. Then click OK.

That should do for printing your document with no hidden text showing.

Regards,

Angélica Portales

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's it! Jul 24, 2002

Hi Angelica,

Thanks so much!

And for those of you who should be interested in viewing the text on-screen without the source text: Just click the Print Preview button.

Thanks again!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A couple of remarks... Jul 24, 2002

In the \"Tools - Options\" section, you can also disable the display of non-printable text (depending on your settings in Word, there may also be a button on your task bar to do this). Just be careful when editing in this mode: it\'s very easy to damage the Trados tags when changing the first word in a translation unit.

Another alternative to get rid of the original text without running a cleanup:

- Save the file under another name (just in case you still wish to work on the bilingual file).

- F8 will access macros.

- Execute the \'tw4winClean.Main\' macro.

This macro removes all source text (note that this does NOT update your TM, as a proper cleanup would do!).

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I knew there was a button to press! Jul 24, 2002

Hi Ralf,

Do you recall what the button looks like and where to find it. I have been looking everywhere in Word, but I can\'t find it. I seem to recall that I actually used the button for toggling formatting symbols on and off - it looks like the symbol for a line break. But that won\'t work now...

Anyway, I managed to solve my little problem earlier with the help of Angelica. And I can use Angelica\'s or your own suggestions in the future.

It would be nice to locate that button, though.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Usually you can print TRADOS textes without changing any settings in Word Jul 24, 2002

Because for default Word does not print hidden text.

So if no changes are made to default printing settings of Word, you ónly need to print the text out without changing anything. The hidden text can be shown on the screen (and should be for better work with TRADOS).

The settings in Word are:

Options - Tools - Print (I´m using german Word, so maybe the names are a bit different). There must be a setting called \"Will be printed with document\" or similart. The only checked item should be \"Drawings\". It means only drawings will be printed out with your document, no hidden texts, no comments or so.

HTH

Best

Jerzy

VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!!

Word is a very good program, which lets set your own preferencies for almost everything, including task bars and menu bars. Because of this there MUST not necessarily be a button for hidden text on your task bar. But nevertheless, when printing a text with hidden characters these characters do not appear in the print out - because the are HIDDEN. What the colleagues mean, is showing or not showing hidden characters on your MONITOR. Only if you changed the printing settings in Word, you need to do anything, otherwise your computer will by DEFAULT NOT PRINT ANY HIDDEN CHARACTERS.

Best

Jerzy

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-24 12:16 ]

Alison Schwitzgebel
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The "hide/reveal hidden text" button... Jul 24, 2002

that looks like a backwards \"P\" on your menu bar will only hide the trados source text if this function has been properly checked in the \"Tools - Options\" menu. You have to make sure that the \"hidden text\" option is not checked in that window (and in your print options too).

HTH

Alison

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
To add that "toggle" backwards *P* button to your Word Menu Bar Jul 24, 2002

Good morning

The button you are referring to is called \"Show All\".

You can easily add it to your one of your top menu bars in MS Word. I have MS Word 2000... here\'s how to do it:

Open MS Word

Click on TOOLS

Click on CUSTOMIZE

(A window pops up with 3 tabs at the top, select the second tab labelled \"Commands\")

Select the category (on the left) \"VIEW\"

Then you will see various commands come up which are linked to the VIEW options... Look for that symbol (the reversed P and the words SHOW ALL)...and simply drag and drop it to the place where you want it on the Word top menu bar.

Voilà!

Simple as pie

I hope this helps... It will remain on your menu bars from now on...

Nathalie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to clear Trados source text in Word?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search