Mobile menu

Technical advice: use small files, rename, have lots of memory, etc.
Thread poster: mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
French to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2002

A lot of problems of this type can be solved simply by renaming a file and doing a save as. It is very common with Framemaker for example. Your system may have insufficient resources. Windows, particularly 98, tends to fall over after having used it for some time, especially after having used a lot different applications (and not necessarily all at once).

It sounds like things may be grinding to a halt when you use hefty files. I would not like to have less than 256MB of memory using Windows 2000 and if I used XP I would install more. Word is a very inefficieent programme that uses a vast amount of system resources as soon as the file is large and contains a lot of graphics. I have a 2.2 GHz Pentium IV machine with 256 MB of memory but it\'s not that fast with files like that, such as some clients send me.

Direct link Reply with quote

mckinnc  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This posting has ended up in the wrong forum Jul 29, 2002

Sorry for any confusion caused. It should have appeared instead in \"MS Word making system resources going down\"

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical advice: use small files, rename, have lots of memory, etc.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs