Mobile menu

Word 2000 crashes my system (runtime error)
Thread poster: Karin Walker
Karin Walker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:43
German to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2002

Dear forumites,

Ever since I installed Word 2000 on my then new PC, I have had a problem with it shutting down on me ever so often. Even after a couple of months I can\'t work out what makes it do this - I can say with certainty that it almost always happens when I close down a document (whether using the \"x\" in the corner, the icon or the drop-down menu, it doesn\'t matter). The program crashes immediately, saying something like \"runtime error\", and all other Word docs open at the time obviously crash too.

As an immediate measure I have set my autosave to every 60 seconds (!), and anticipate it happening every time I close a doc, so I am not too bothered by it anymore. However, I would like to know whether anyone else is experiencing this problem or whether this could be a fault on the software CD I was given with the PC, then I could go back to the supplier, maybe.

Thanks

Karin

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Perhaps it is not a bug Jul 30, 2002

And quite surely your CD is OK.

But obviously there is something gone wrong with your installation.

Please locate the file named \"Normal.dot\" on your system and rename it to \"Normal.do_\". After renaming this file start Word again, open some documents and try to close them. If this works, so your old \"Normal.dot\" (the main template file for every Word document) was corrupt. As Word creates a new empty one after the first start, if it does not find any \"Normal.dot\", but does not do this if it finds an old \"Normal.dot\" from previous installation.

If this does not help, so I´m afraid you need to deinstall Word completly from your system and install it anew.

You are using Word 2000, so I´m not sure, if you still can get Microsoft patches for Office 2000 (there were two), but after installing those patches my Office worked much stable as before.

My best advice is to switch up to Word/Office XP. I´m using this software since over a year and have never had such problems.

By the way, setting the Autosave functionto 1 Minute is a very good aproach for every software using autosave. I have set all programs so, then every programm or even the whole system crash sometimes... (well, an Apple Macintosh crashes sometimes too )

Jerzy

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Word 2000 Jul 30, 2002

Karin,

Jerzy hat vollkommen recht.

Es hängt mit der Vorglage \"Normal.dot\"; das Problem kenne ich langsam und mache das Spielchen im Schnitt 1x im Monat.

Sehr wichtig ist es, daß Du vor dieser Umbennung Word schließt.

Herzliche Grüße

Geneviève

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Normal.dot + Word 2000 Jul 30, 2002

Genevieve, das muss nicht sein!

Offensichtlich pfuscht Dir jemand mit Macros in den Dateien in Deiner Normal.dot herum.

Ich hatte Word 2000 etwa 2 Jahre benutzt und musste die Normal.dot etwa zweim Mal \"regenerieren\". Wobei es sich als sehr zweckmäßig erwiesen hat, die Normal.dot mit dem Stand, mit dem Word stabil funktionierte, an einer sicheren Stelle im PC - ggf. unter Normal-sicher.dot - zu speichern. Spinnt dann Word wegen der korrupten Normal.dot, wird einfach die alte an die Stelle der korrupten kopiert und der Spuck ist vorbei. Vorsicht ist eben besser als nachsicht.

Übrigens, seit etwa einem Jahr arbeite ich mit Word XP. Meine Normal.dot stammt aber in den Grundzügen noch aus meinen Word-97-Zeiten (zwar wurde sie hin und wieder wie oben beschrieben \"regeneriert\", aber einige Autotexteinträge und Schortcuts habe ich noch von damals). Seit ich aber Word XP einsetze, gab es das Korruptions-Problem nicht mehr - offensichtlich ist der Rechner gut \"geschmiert\". Diese Datei hat mittlerweile zwei vollständige PC-Neuinstallationen überlebt.

Schönen Abend noch

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2000 crashes my system (runtime error)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs