Can't ask a question in another pair (reply: "look for 'more languages' option")
Thread poster: Irene N
Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 04:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 15, 2006

I was trying to ask EN-EN question and could not, it seems like the system declines it asking for "your pairs", and "Something wrong with your info" message appears with emply language fields. Re-entering didn't help. EN-EN is not registered in my profile.

Any ideas?
Thank you!
Irene

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-02-15 14:25]

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:21
Spanish to English
Suggestion Feb 15, 2006

The system probably wants you to have at least chosen EN-EN as an "interest" in order to let you ask a question.

However, as someone who has asked questions outside of my pair before now (I'm thinking specifically of an Italian - English question I asked a while back to check that I was on the right track with a vocab problem), it would be helpful if we could do so again without having to add the pair to your list on the profile page. I'm sure lots of us have had to do something sim
... See more
The system probably wants you to have at least chosen EN-EN as an "interest" in order to let you ask a question.

However, as someone who has asked questions outside of my pair before now (I'm thinking specifically of an Italian - English question I asked a while back to check that I was on the right track with a vocab problem), it would be helpful if we could do so again without having to add the pair to your list on the profile page. I'm sure lots of us have had to do something similar in the past.
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:21
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Pls checkif you filled in all required fields Feb 15, 2006

Hi Irene,
There is no restriction to ask questions in any language pair, from what I know. I've just tested and was able to ask completely outside of my working or interest languages.
By default KudoZ asking page shows your language pairs, but below it there is "more languages" button where you can chose any combination.

If it doesn't work, you should probably submit a Support Request, quoting the exact error message you've got.

HTH,
Magda

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:21
Spanish to English
Feeling stupid... Feb 15, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

By default KudoZ asking page shows your language pairs, but below it there is "more languages" button where you can chose any combination.

I've just had my eyes tested, so I know I don't need a new prescription, but I had never noticed that before...

Thanks for pointing it out!

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 04:21
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Magda, Nikki, thank you! Feb 17, 2006

My first thank you post apparently got lost but now everything is working. It looks like I was not the only one with that sudden Email Failure message but all it took was to eraze three red xxx in personal profile settings and the thing fixed itself.

Cheers,
Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't ask a question in another pair (reply: "look for 'more languages' option")

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »