Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:19
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2002

A Multiterm question: is there a way to access an open termbase from a Word document I\'m translating without having to copy the search word from Word, click on the Multiterm icon and paste it in the search field of Multiterm. Perhaps a quick way by highlighting the search word in Word and clicking on an icon in the task bar somewhere?

Direct link Reply with quote

Lise Smidth  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Danish
+ ...
depends on the version Aug 14, 2002

MultiTerm iX: highlight the word & Ctrl+Alt+D

older versions: highlight the word in the TW window, click on the right mouse button and select the 2nd menu item.

hope you find the right words

lise

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:19
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Hi... Aug 14, 2002

highlight the word you want to search in the workbench window and press enter... the search window will appear with all the sentences in which the word... well, appears! If there is a match, of course.

Is this slightly quicker for you? Must be!

Note: I think we are talking about two different things here! In fact, I\'m talking about the Term Recognition option in Workbench, which is not Multiterm, obviously.

G

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-14 08:57 ]

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Are you using Multiterm IX? Aug 14, 2002

If so you highlight the word and click the green magnifying glass on the Multiterm IX menu bar.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...works with the "old" MultiTerm, too... Aug 14, 2002

You should have a MultiTerm icon bar in your Word window; highlight the word you want to search for and click on the magnifying glass: the search result will be displayed in the status bar at the bottom of your Word window.

This should only be necessary if the term isn\'t identified straight away (provided you activated Term Recognition in your Workbench). To place terms that were automatically recognised, use the Workbench icons in Word, or use the // shortcuts.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
What do I do if I don't have a Multiterm icon bar? Aug 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-14 09:14, Lemster wrote:

You should have a MultiTerm icon bar in your Word window; highlight the word you want to search for and click on the magnifying glass: the search result will be displayed in the status bar at the bottom of your Word window.

This should only be necessary if the term isn\'t identified straight away (provided you activated Term Recognition in your Workbench). To place terms that were automatically recognised, use the Workbench icons in Word, or use the // shortcuts.

I\'ve got term recognition activated in my workbench, and the Trados window picks up on the terms I have in Multiterm - but I don\'t have a multiterm icon bar in my Word window, I just have the Trados bar. No green magnifying glass anywhere to be found

Any help is much appreciated!

Alison

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it works now Aug 14, 2002

Thanks to all. I\'m using Multiterm 5.5 by the way, since that\'s what my client sent me and since that\'s what I instinctively chose from the start bar. Has anyone got any ideas what the difference now is with Multiterm iX (which also came with my 5.5 package)? Had I chosen Multiterm iX to open the termbase sent by the client, would procedures been different?

Multiterm recognition was activated in my Workbench all the time (at a low 45%) so opening the applications in the right order (Multiterm, Workbench, Word) put me on the right track.

I would\'ve still used DV but converting everything would\'ve been a total pain.

Thanks to Lise, Giovanni, Ralf (Tguru) and Gillian.

Markusha

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Make sure the MultiTerm template is linked Aug 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-14 11:55, alison1969 wrote:

I\'ve got term recognition activated in my workbench, and the Trados window picks up on the terms I have in Multiterm - but I don\'t have a multiterm icon bar in my Word window, I just have the Trados bar. No green magnifying glass anywhere to be found

Any help is much appreciated!

Alison

Hi Alison,

To see the icon bar, you need to activate the MultiTerm template (\'MTerm-DE.dot\' for the German version, for example). The files are located in the Trados installation directory (in my 5.0 team version: c:\\programme\\TRADOS\\T5\\TT\\Templates); copy the one you need into your MS Office Start directory (c:\\programme\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\Startup). When starting Word the next time, the template should be connected, displaying the icon bar. If it doesn\'t, make sure the template is linked (Word: Extras => Vorlagen und Add-Ins), and the icon bar is set for display (Word: Ansicht - Symbolleisten).

HTH - cheers, Ralf

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Multierm IX is very different Aug 14, 2002

I\'m on a steep learning curve right now - I guess like everyone else is! I\'m trying to use it for a specific project - it helps if someone pays for the learning curve but I must says it\'s hard work.

I think it\'ll easier to use in the long run and it certainly seems more flexible. E.g. add a monolingual or dual lingual glossary into a word document at the click of a button. If only I could set it up to print the fields that I want ...

Lise Smidth  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Danish
+ ...
didn't even start to learn MT all over again ... Aug 14, 2002

Quote:

I\'m on a steep learning curve right now - I guess like everyone else is!

well, actually I\'m not, since I couldn\'t yet convince myself that I have to learn this MultiTerm thing all over again

So I work with Trados WB 5.5 but with the old MultiTerm - but perhaps I\'ll manage to convince myself eventually - too bad if it turns out the money was more or less wasted

lise

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

quickly accessing Multiterm from Word

Advanced search

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs