Trados is corrupting my file when I clean it up. HELLLLPPPP!
Thread poster: Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 13:42
German to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2002

I\'ve just completed a lenghty translation using Trados, and have now cleaned up my file. Now, when I try to open the new, clean file, Word goes down (my task manager tells me that there is \"Keine Rückmeldung\" - guess this is \"no response\" or something like that in the English version of Windows).

Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve it?

I\'ve already tried the following:

See more
I\'ve just completed a lenghty translation using Trados, and have now cleaned up my file. Now, when I try to open the new, clean file, Word goes down (my task manager tells me that there is \"Keine Rückmeldung\" - guess this is \"no response\" or something like that in the English version of Windows).

Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve it?

I\'ve already tried the following:

renaming the cleaned document

recleaning the original document into another memory

saving the bak file under another name and recleaning this

repairing the original file and cleaning it

I\'m running out of ideas here .....

Look forward to any input
Collapse

Carlos Moreno
Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
My suggestion: Aug 15, 2002

Reinstall Trados. Perhaps your computer experienced a micro power failure or a power spike. It happens all the time.

As the Americans say, When everything else fails, read the manual!

Happy computing!

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Tried copy-paste? Aug 15, 2002

Sometimes copying the entire contents of the corrupt Word document (everything BUT the very last paragraph mark) into a new, clean Word file can give you a stable document.

I\'d try it with the results of cleaning up the copy of the .bak file, before closing or saving that under a new name. (Advice based on what I do in Wordfast, no idea whether Trados lets you do the same). Good luck !

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-15 16:59 ]

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tried copy-paste - doesn't work Aug 15, 2002

Thanks for the copy/paste idea - good idea, but it didn\'t work. Word crashes as soon as I even open the corrupt document, so I can\'t copy anything out of it.

I tried copying the uncleaned file (without the last paragraph mark), pasting it into a new doc and cleaning that, but that didn\'t work either....

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Rerun Trados on the old file Aug 15, 2002

Just a little idea:

Could you take your original file and make sure it wouldn\'t be corrupt or haven\'t any ugly feature...

Apply your Trados memory by pretranslating the whole file. Save it and try clean-up again.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I make sure the original file isn't corrupt? Aug 15, 2002

Just tried copying and pasting the content of the original file (w/o last paragraph mark) into a new, clean word doc, ran trados over it, and the same thing has happened again. Word goes down as soon as I try to open the file.

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
German to English
+ ...
Clean TRADOS file through the Macro solution Aug 15, 2002

Allison,

there is a method of cleaning a tagged file by using a macro in your computer. I have had to resort to it several times, when the regular clean function produced garbage.

You can find the exact steps of the method at the TRADOS help site under the Knowledge Database. I have copied and pasted their advice here. Try it, it works!

SYMPTOMS

Running the Clean Up function corrupts my documents. Is there anot
... See more
Allison,

there is a method of cleaning a tagged file by using a macro in your computer. I have had to resort to it several times, when the regular clean function produced garbage.

You can find the exact steps of the method at the TRADOS help site under the Knowledge Database. I have copied and pasted their advice here. Try it, it works!

SYMPTOMS

Running the Clean Up function corrupts my documents. Is there another method I can use to clean a translated file?

STEPS

You can clean a document while it is open in Word by using a special macro. To run this macro follow the steps below:

Open the uncleaned document in Word.

From the Tools menu, choose Macro -> Macros.... The Macros dialog opens.

From the drop-down list Macros in: select TW4Win97.dot/TW4Win2k.dot/TRDOS5.dot. The macro list displays all Workbench macros.

From the macro list select the item tw4winClean.Main.

Click on Run. The source text and the segment delimiters will be removed from the document.

Repeat these steps for all documents you want to clean.

Best

Dorothee
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
BRILLIANT!!!!! Aug 15, 2002

... See more

Thank you Dorothee!!!

Collapse

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Brilliant, indeed! Aug 15, 2002

Quote:

The macro list displays all Workbench macros.

Click on Run.

One might want to know as a full-flagged user what goods these macros do to my documents. Is there any explanation in the manuals?

Alison! I usually turn corrupt documents into good shape by deleting all hard returns. I do a Search and Replac... See more
Quote:

The macro list displays all Workbench macros.

Click on Run.

One might want to know as a full-flagged user what goods these macros do to my documents. Is there any explanation in the manuals?

Alison! I usually turn corrupt documents into good shape by deleting all hard returns. I do a Search and Replace action with ^p --> & etc. Then the way back and the file is operational again.

Carsten ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados is corrupting my file when I clean it up. HELLLLPPPP!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »