Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 06:24
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2002

Hi everyone.

I am currently doing a translation that has three embedded flowcharts, which appear to have been created in ABC Flowcharter. When I click on Print Preview, I can see the flowcharts - there\'s quite a bit to them. But I don\'t have ABC Flowcharter, so there\'s not a thing I can do with them, by the looks of it!

Does anyone know of a way around this? (Other than downloading ABC Flowcharter, which I haven\'t really got enough time to do, and can\'t find where to get a functional free version anyway)? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL

(WriteWord Translations)

Direct link Reply with quote

Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
Spanish to English
You will probably need the base program Aug 16, 2002

I have had a similar experience, but with PowerPoint. I was translating a presentation that had embedded Visio files. Since I did not have Visio on my computer, it would not let me edit them. It would try to the launch the Visio program, and of course there was nothing to launch. I am suspecting that this is the case with Word.

Sorry I don\'t have happier news!

Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
English to French
+ ...
Il faut repartir à zéro Aug 16, 2002

Bonjour, Rowan

J\'ai souvent ce genre de problème et la suele solution, à ce jour, c\'est de refaire le dessin avec les outils du Word, principalement avec l\'outil Organigramme.

Une autre solution consiste en copier et coller l\'orginal sur une nouvelle page blanche et copier la traduction dessus avec les fonctions de la barre Dessin.

Ça prend du temps, mais le client est toujours très satisfait.

Amicalement depuis le Brésil

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:24
German to English
+ ...
basically you have three options... Aug 18, 2002

The first option is that you have a copy of the program used to generate the original (or some other program that allows you to open and edit the graphic). That\'s the the only way you can edit it. (Sometimes it\'s worthwhile to ask the client if you can \'borrow\' a copy of the program.)

Otherwise you can either regenerate the graphic in translated form, as suggested (which will probably delight the client but can be a lot of work; your willingness to do this will probably depend on the amount of work involved and how much you\'re being paid...).

Or you can provide a table of equivalents (source language in one column, target in the other) for the legends in the graphic (which is what I normally do).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem With Embedded Flowcharts in Word

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs