Using trados with urdu
Thread poster: CosmicGlobal

CosmicGlobal  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2002

Hi, can someone tell me if i can use trados with urdu? I have never used this before and am thinking seriously abt it and after reading all the positive responses for using trados, makes me wonder if i am missing something. But a client now wants english to urdu with trados and i was told that since it is compatible with microsoft , and urdu is not i maynot be able to use it at all. can someone enlighten me on this please, thanks in advance !

Direct link Reply with quote

Squi  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Urdu-supporting CAT Aug 19, 2002

Hullo!

Unfortunately, Trados does nor support Urdu:

Translator’s Workbench

Trados Corporation. Supported languages are Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Finnish, Greek,Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.

http://www.foreignword.com/Technology/tm/tm.htm.

But the same site recommends a localisation tool:

Passolo

Software localization tool with integrated dialog and bitmap editor, fuzzy matching, glossaries and checking functions. Professional Edition with VBA compatible scripting engine and automation. Works with standard Windows resources, Delphi, Visual Basic, Java, Databases and others. Unicode version for Asian and Right-to-Left languages included. Optional interfaces for TRADOS Workbench and STAR Transit available

Can you use it, maybe?

Best regards

Squi

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
Urdu and Trados Aug 19, 2002

Greetings.

Based on recent comments by a friend in Pakistan who works in Urdu, save your money and don\'t buy Trados, as that doesn\'t support Urdu properly.

Also, Urdu and Pashto have some distinctive characters not found in Dari or Farsi, and for working with Urdu, Trados reportedly searches for the closest-approximate equivalent and, as a result, mangles the displayed text.

HTH. Good luck.

Regards.

Stephen H. Franke

(English Arabic,

Kurdish, and Farsi)

Abid Riaz  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 12:59
Member (Mar 2016)
Pashto (Pushto) to English
+ ...
Translation software for Urdu/Pashto Aug 7, 2013

I am downloading the Trados trial version right now but I don't expect any great support for Pashto. What CAT tool is best?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using trados with urdu

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs