Thread poster: Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:03
Catalan to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2002

Does anyone know what I can do. All for a sudden, for no apparent reason, Google has decided not to let me in. I have it on my list of favourites and have tried entering that way or by writing the address at the top of the page directly. No success! I\'ve deleted the caché files and the Google cookie, but to no avail. Has anyone any suggestions? I am at a loss. Also, can anyone recommmend any other search engines I might try?

Many thanks in advance,

She
... See more
Does anyone know what I can do. All for a sudden, for no apparent reason, Google has decided not to let me in. I have it on my list of favourites and have tried entering that way or by writing the address at the top of the page directly. No success! I\'ve deleted the caché files and the Google cookie, but to no avail. Has anyone any suggestions? I am at a loss. Also, can anyone recommmend any other search engines I might try?

Many thanks in advance,

Sheila
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Try a deviation... Aug 20, 2002

...and go onto the website http://www.web.de (simply web.de will also suffice). Somewhere on their site, they have a link to Google search. Check it out!

HTH

Steffen

You could also try www.google.de instead of www.google.com, if that was your problem.
... See more
...and go onto the website http://www.web.de (simply web.de will also suffice). Somewhere on their site, they have a link to Google search. Check it out!

HTH

Steffen

You could also try www.google.de instead of www.google.com, if that was your problem...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-20 13:43 ]
Collapse

luisantos (X)
luisantos (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
contact google... Aug 20, 2002

strange problem.. Maybe you\'ll find it stupid but.. the best answer can come from the google crew: [email protected]. try it.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Patience, and some adjustments to your browser Aug 20, 2002

I had this problem, too, and after a week Google \"came back\". Some settings on your browser may have been inadvertently corrupted. If you use Internet Explorer, try the links at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;iepcbdfaq

If you use another browser, try a search on your browser name plus the word \"troubleshooting\" and/or \"page not found\".
... See more
I had this problem, too, and after a week Google \"came back\". Some settings on your browser may have been inadvertently corrupted. If you use Internet Explorer, try the links at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;iepcbdfaq

If you use another browser, try a search on your browser name plus the word \"troubleshooting\" and/or \"page not found\". AltaVista is an alternative you can use until you get Google back.
Collapse

Uwe Kirmse
Uwe Kirmse  Identity Verified
Polish to German
+ ...
Just try this: Aug 20, 2002

http://www.alltheweb.com

The results are as good as from Google, and the language choosing option is better.

In another forum (or was it even at ProZ.com, I don\'t remeber), I\'ve read, what can be the reason. If from one ISP (Internet Service Provider) there is sent a lot of automated queries to Google (hacker attack), Google blockes the access from this
... See more
http://www.alltheweb.com

The results are as good as from Google, and the language choosing option is better.

In another forum (or was it even at ProZ.com, I don\'t remeber), I\'ve read, what can be the reason. If from one ISP (Internet Service Provider) there is sent a lot of automated queries to Google (hacker attack), Google blockes the access from this ISP. If you have the same ISP as this hacker, you\'ll be blocked too.

But try Alltheweb, it\'s really great.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-20 15:58 ]
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 21, 2002

Many thanks for all the ideas - I tried them all! I tried to access Google through www.web.de and it worked once then froze. Then I wrote to [email protected] (but goodness knows when they will have time to reply). I contacted Microsoft and they said it wasn\'t a problem with Internet Explorer because I could get into other sites. Finally, I tried Altavista and alltheweb and found the... See more
Many thanks for all the ideas - I tried them all! I tried to access Google through www.web.de and it worked once then froze. Then I wrote to [email protected] (but goodness knows when they will have time to reply). I contacted Microsoft and they said it wasn\'t a problem with Internet Explorer because I could get into other sites. Finally, I tried Altavista and alltheweb and found them both (particularly alltheweb) to be good alternatives. After doing all that, Google miraculously started working again! Just as suddenly as it had stopped working! Uwe, your idea about hackers may well be the cause - I suppose I will never know. One thing is for sure, I will be well prepared if it ever happens again!

Thanks again!

Sheila
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can\'t get into Google - any ideas?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »