Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 20:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 6, 2006

Is it really necessary to have links on Google to every forum post and Kudoz question in our name? I would prefer to have only my profile appear on Google and if people want to see my posts or Kudoz questions/answers, they can take it from there. Too many Google links make it difficult for people to find other information that they may be looking for.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:06
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
As far as I know May 6, 2006

Google just indexes all publicly available pages on the Internet and no one, except Google programmers, know exactly what algorithms are used for indexing. We each have to make our best guess and act accordingly (say, enter as many keywords in your profile as possible and see if it works), but actually what pages are indexed by Google is beyond ProZ control.

Uldis

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Is it really necessary to have links on Google to every forum post and Kudoz question in our name? I would prefer to have only my profile appear on Google and if people want to see my posts or Kudoz questions/answers, they can take it from there. Too many Google links make it difficult for people to find other information that they may be looking for.

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 05:06
English to Estonian
+ ...
robots.txt files May 6, 2006

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
what pages are indexed by Google is beyond ProZ control.

Proz actually has almost full control, since all search engines seem to respect robots.txt files that tell a spider what to index and what not to:
http://www.pageresource.com/zine/robotstxt.htm

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:06
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree, Proz.com can exclude Google May 7, 2006

-Jorgen- wrote:
Proz actually has almost full control, since all search engines seem to respect robots.txt files.

AFAIK Google respects robots.txt files completely. Since all forum posts are located in a subdirectory on the Proz host, called "topic", it would be a very simple thing for Proz to exclude Google from indexing the posts. Similarly, Kudoz questions are all in the subdirectory "kudoz", so that can also be excluded fairly easily. If there was a vote of some sort, my vote would be to exclude forum posts at least.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would welcome a vote May 9, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

AFAIK Google respects robots.txt files completely. Since all forum posts are located in a subdirectory on the Proz host, called "topic", it would be a very simple thing for Proz to exclude Google from indexing the posts. Similarly, Kudoz questions are all in the subdirectory "kudoz", so that can also be excluded fairly easily. If there was a vote of some sort, my vote would be to exclude forum posts at least.

I would like to see both posts and questions kudoz excluded and would welcome a vote on the issue.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
No vote is needed May 10, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

I would like to see both posts and questions kudoz excluded and would welcome a vote on the issue.

I strongly disagree. No vote is needed. Much have been said about this in many fora and in articles at the database. Also in Proz FAQ. Nothing new about it.

We all know the more hits you have, the more the chances Google gets you. Participating in Kudoz questions and in fora are one way people get to know you and so does Mr. Google.

Besides, fora and Kudoz are not restricted, so why banning them from Google? Proz has become the most popular and visited site among translators` sites. Google, Kudoz, Fora (and many others features Proz has) are all responsabile for this success.

Do we want to reduce our exposure? NO.
Do we want top increase our exposure? YES, definitely yes.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"We" does not speak for everyone. May 10, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

I strongly disagree. No vote is needed. Much have been said about this in many fora and in articles at the database. Also in Proz FAQ. Nothing new about it.

We all know the more hits you have, the more the chances Google gets you. Participating in Kudoz questions and in fora are one way people get to know you and so does Mr. Google.

Besides, fora and Kudoz are not restricted, so why banning them from Google? Proz has become the most popular and visited site among translators` sites. Google, Kudoz, Fora (and many others features Proz has) are all responsabile for this success.

I would vote exactly the opposite, so clearly "we" does not speak for everyone. I am wondering if it might be possible to decide on an individual basis whether you want to have all these links on Google or not. If the topic was discussed before, I am not aware of it, so would appreciate references to posts - thanks.

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
search May 10, 2006

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Walter Landesman wrote:

I would vote exactly the opposite, so clearly "we" does not speak for everyone. I am wondering if it might be possible to decide on an individual basis whether you want to have all these links on Google or not. If the topic was discussed before, I am not aware of it, so would appreciate references to posts - thanks.

Sorry, Tina. When I said "we" I didn`t mean "everybody". It was a way of expression and of expressing what I perceive to be the general feeling in many fora.

But I believe most of Proz members including myself were included in that "we".

As for references, well, there are so many... .hundreds. So, I think it would be easier if you run a search in the fora with the key words you like the most.

Best,

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:06
Why not vote, or ask the question as a survey? May 10, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry Walter, but the fact that you stronly disagree does not mean that all of us have to agree with you. No vote is needed sounds quite dictatorial to me. I have never read anything before in any other fora, and I would welcome more discussions on the topic.

I, just like Samuel and a couple other colleagues, would prefer that my forum interventions not be indexed by Google. The kudoz questions, I do not mind, but I understand that other people do not even want to have their names indexed through the kudoz questions.

Your two last sentences also only speak for yourself. Not ALL of us want more exposure, and not all of us want to increase our exposure. As another collegue pointed out, I am only interested in my profile being indexed; more exposure than that, to me, is not necessary.

So please, let us discuss this further.

[Edited at 2006-05-10 18:15]

Walter Landesman
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
suit yourself May 10, 2006

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

Sorry Walter, but the fact that you strongly disagree does not mean that all of us have to agree with you.

I already explained what I meant when I said WE. And I also have the right to strongly disagree.

No vote is needed sounds quite dictatorial to me.

I think no vote is needed because these features are written and were discussed in Proz 101. If you do think a vote is necessary, go ahead. Post your own poll. You don´t have to wait for anybody else to do it. Members can suggest polls. Just go to the proper link and write it. It`s free.

I have never read anything before in any other fora, and I would welcome more discussions on the topic.

Suggestion: You are welcome to search trough the fora, read as much as you feel like it. And you can also leave your opinion in those threads.

I, just like Samuel and a couple other colleagues, would prefer that my forum interventions not be indexed by Google. The kudoz questions, I do not mind, but I understand that other people do not even want to have their names indexed through the kudoz questions.

That`s your personal opinion and maybe Samuel and other`s too, and I respect it. I am not sure how and if it can be implemented, though. Maybe Henry can give a more accurate answer.
Regards,

Walter

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
I do not want to start any argument May 10, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:

That`s your personal opinion and maybe Samuel and other`s too, and I respect it. I am not sure how and if it can be implemented, though. Maybe Henry can give a more accurate answer.
Regards,

Walter

I just think your first intervention would have been much more constructive, had you drafted it in the same terms as the paragraph above.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
discussion May 10, 2006

Walter wrote:
I think no vote is needed because these features are written and were discussed in ProZ.com 101. If you do think a vote is necessary, go ahead. Post your own poll. You don´t have to wait for anybody else to do it. Members can suggest polls. Just go to the proper link and write it. It`s free.

I hope we can have a constructive and friendly discussion here without getting angry or upsetting others.

A poll would be a good idea, it would initiate a forum discussion. Here we skipped the poll and jumped directly into the discussion, and I think that's OK too. The poll (and hence the related thread) might be seen by more people because it will appear on the front page, while not everybody reads the ProZ tech support forum.

I follow most ProZ threads, but not all, and I must have missed the discussions you are referring to, Walter. I did a forum search but didn't come up with anything relevant. Would you be so kind as to clarify what you mean by "these features are written [...] in ProZ.com 101"?

Maria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google links to Forum posts and Kudoz questions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »