Mobile menu

TM Format Conversion (text file to SDLX TM)
Thread poster: Hans-Henning Judek

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:40
German to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2001

I am working with SDLX and Wordfast. Up to now I received TMs as original SDLX or TMX files.

Now a customer has sent me a complicated a Trados text file that contains not only tab delimited pairs (which I could handle), but a lot of other stuff, including formating, fonts etc.

It looks like:

{\\fonttbl

{\\f1 \\fmodern\\fprq1 \\fcharset0 Courier New;}

{\\f2 \\fswiss\\fprq2 \\fcharset0 Arial;}

{\\f3 \\froman\\fprq2 {\\*\\panose 02020603050405020304}\\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}

{\\f4 \\froman\\fprq2 {\\*\\panose 00000000000000000000}{\\*\\falt Times New Roman}\\fcharset0 Tms Rmn;}

{\\f5 \\fswiss\\fprq2 {\\*\\panose 00000000000000000000}{\\*\\falt Arial}\\fcharset0 Helv;}

Anybody an idea, how to efficiently import such a file into a TM for SDLX? I triedbut got an error message \"This is not a Trados file\". Did I miss a step?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-31 20:40 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ulrike Lieder  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:40
English to German
+ ...
Have you tried deleting the preamble? Nov 1, 2001

Hi Hans-Henning,

I work mostly with Trados, so I don\'t know if this will work for you or not. Exported Trados files tend to have huge preambles with font and style information. When importing Trados text files into Workbench, the entire mess between

\"RTF Preamble\"

and

\"/RTF Preamble\"

can safely be deleted.

(The RTF Preamble strings are surrounded by angle brackets which HMTL seems to think are instructions and keeps dropping, along with everything in between, and which is why I keep coming back to edit this message...)

You might just want to try that - make a copy of the file, keep the 2 \"RTF Preamble\" strings, take all out the font information in between, and try again. Can\'t hurt, and maybe it\'ll work. (Quite frankly, I never did figure out what purpose all this font information serves.)

Also, have you tried posting your query on the TW User list (TW_users@yahoogroups.com) - a lot of people on that list seem to work with Trados plus SDLX, Deja Vu, Wordfast, and what have you, and you may be able to find the answer in the archives or by posting a new query.

Good luck!

Ulrike

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-01 12:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-01 12:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-01 12:17 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM Format Conversion (text file to SDLX TM)

Advanced search

TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs