TM Format Conversion (text file to SDLX TM)
Thread poster: Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
German to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2001

I am working with SDLX and Wordfast. Up to now I received TMs as original SDLX or TMX files.

Now a customer has sent me a complicated a Trados text file that contains not only tab delimited pairs (which I could handle), but a lot of other stuff, including formating, fonts etc.

It looks like:

{\\fonttbl

{\\f1 \\fmodern\\fprq1 \\fcharset0 Courier New;}

{\\f2 \\fswiss\\fprq2 \\fcharset0 Arial;}
... See more
I am working with SDLX and Wordfast. Up to now I received TMs as original SDLX or TMX files.

Now a customer has sent me a complicated a Trados text file that contains not only tab delimited pairs (which I could handle), but a lot of other stuff, including formating, fonts etc.

It looks like:

{\\fonttbl

{\\f1 \\fmodern\\fprq1 \\fcharset0 Courier New;}

{\\f2 \\fswiss\\fprq2 \\fcharset0 Arial;}

{\\f3 \\froman\\fprq2 {\\*\\panose 02020603050405020304}\\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}

{\\f4 \\froman\\fprq2 {\\*\\panose 00000000000000000000}{\\*\\falt Times New Roman}\\fcharset0 Tms Rmn;}

{\\f5 \\fswiss\\fprq2 {\\*\\panose 00000000000000000000}{\\*\\falt Arial}\\fcharset0 Helv;}

Anybody an idea, how to efficiently import such a file into a TM for SDLX? I triedbut got an error message \"This is not a Trados file\". Did I miss a step?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-31 20:40 ]
Collapse

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Have you tried deleting the preamble? Nov 1, 2001

Hi Hans-Henning,

I work mostly with Trados, so I don\'t know if this will work for you or not. Exported Trados files tend to have huge preambles with font and style information. When importing Trados text files into Workbench, the entire mess between

\"RTF Preamble\"

and

\"/RTF Preamble\"

can safely be deleted.

(The RTF Preamble strings are surrounded by angle brackets which HMTL seems to think are instructions and keeps dropping, al
... See more
Hi Hans-Henning,

I work mostly with Trados, so I don\'t know if this will work for you or not. Exported Trados files tend to have huge preambles with font and style information. When importing Trados text files into Workbench, the entire mess between

\"RTF Preamble\"

and

\"/RTF Preamble\"

can safely be deleted.

(The RTF Preamble strings are surrounded by angle brackets which HMTL seems to think are instructions and keeps dropping, along with everything in between, and which is why I keep coming back to edit this message...)

You might just want to try that - make a copy of the file, keep the 2 \"RTF Preamble\" strings, take all out the font information in between, and try again. Can\'t hurt, and maybe it\'ll work. (Quite frankly, I never did figure out what purpose all this font information serves.)

Also, have you tried posting your query on the TW User list ([email protected]) - a lot of people on that list seem to work with Trados plus SDLX, Deja Vu, Wordfast, and what have you, and you may be able to find the answer in the archives or by posting a new query.

Good luck!

Ulrike

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-01 12:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-01 12:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-01 12:17 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM Format Conversion (text file to SDLX TM)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »