Trados: Cyrillic after tags gets unreadable
Thread poster: Dm_Ch (X)
Dm_Ch (X)
Dm_Ch (X)

Local time: 02:00
English to Russian
Aug 22, 2002

Hello!

I wonder if someone could help me with the following problem. I am translating an rtf-file,

converted from PageMaker, from German into Russian. The file has lots of

tags. Mostly, translation goes smoothly, but quite often Cyrillic gets

unreadable in WB, and consequently when it\'s inserted into translation

segment. This happens when Russian text follows immediately after tags, esp.

if there is a tabulator between the t
... See more
Hello!

I wonder if someone could help me with the following problem. I am translating an rtf-file,

converted from PageMaker, from German into Russian. The file has lots of

tags. Mostly, translation goes smoothly, but quite often Cyrillic gets

unreadable in WB, and consequently when it\'s inserted into translation

segment. This happens when Russian text follows immediately after tags, esp.

if there is a tabulator between the tag and the Russian text, such as :

[TAB] Achtung:.

I have found a workaround, which is very time-consuming though: I choose

Edit in the WB window and delete certain markup around the Russian text in

question.

E.g.: in the segment {\\cs6\\f1\\cf6\\lang1024 }{\\f3 \\tab Russian text})

I delete {\\f3 ....}, and have only the following left:

{\\cs6\\f1\\cf6\\lang1024 }\\tab

Russian text

After that the Cyrillic text becomes readable and inserts correctly, but,

again, this takes ages to do (esp. given how large the text is)

I use Word 2000, Windows Millenium (Russian) ? Trados FL 5.5 (dongle # 968039).

TIA,

Dmitri

En/De>Ru translator/proof-reader

http://www.proz.com/pro/7249
Collapse

Valeri Serikov
Valeri Serikov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados tags Aug 22, 2002

Dmitry,

First of all, I would not recommend using Millenium. It was installed on my notebook when I bought it, very \"buggy\" soft! I deinstalled it after one week of use. NT 4.0 is the best solution in this case. (forget about 2000 or XP, they are for distraction, none of them is suitable when I use TRANSIT, for instance - they are too \"heavy\" to handle large files)

Second, when you translate the texts into Russian without tags, does everything go OK?
... See more
Dmitry,

First of all, I would not recommend using Millenium. It was installed on my notebook when I bought it, very \"buggy\" soft! I deinstalled it after one week of use. NT 4.0 is the best solution in this case. (forget about 2000 or XP, they are for distraction, none of them is suitable when I use TRANSIT, for instance - they are too \"heavy\" to handle large files)

Second, when you translate the texts into Russian without tags, does everything go OK? If not, some correction should be made in the Registry, i.e. coding page 1252 should be changed to 1251 or something, I do not remember exactly, but be careful, ask somebody who knows it.

Third, I propose to try to \"Copy source on no match\" if you don\'t use it. Probably, it wiil help.

Regards,

Valery

BTW I use TRADOS 5, what is your impression about 5.5?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-22 14:52 ]
Collapse

Dm_Ch (X)
Dm_Ch (X)

English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Trados: Issues and Features Aug 22, 2002

Quote:

Second, when you translate the texts into Russian without tags, does everything go OK?

Yes, even with tags it mostly runs fine.

Quote:
Third, I propose to try to \"Copy source on no match\" if you don\'t use it. Probably, it wiil help.

No, this does not help. Nor helps aligining western fonts with their cyrillic co... See more
Quote:

Yes, even with tags it mostly runs fine.

Quote:

No, this does not help. Nor helps aligining western fonts with their cyrillic counterparts.

Quote:

BTW I use TRADOS 5, what is your impression about 5.5?

Well, I find it a worthwhile investment: I really like the new feature in Multiterm to add words \"on-the-fly\", and readily available already in the next occurence of the word (without creating any fuzzy index - imagine doing that with several kilos of words!)there are also some minor (for me) in Tageditor. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Cyrillic after tags gets unreadable

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »