problems translating Word files using Trados.
Thread poster: Courage the Cowardly Dog
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Courage the Cowardly Dog
English to Russian
Sep 1, 2002

Dear all!

I\'m using Trados 3, and when I edit bilingual file in Word it breaks formatting badly. As an example, after closing current segment and then opening new one Word could change font properties of a text to be translated.

Reading Trados documentation on this does not helped me.

Please help me where to find a guidelines on how to edit such files, or what else should I do to minimize re-formatting process after translation.

Thank you in ad
... See more
Dear all!

I\'m using Trados 3, and when I edit bilingual file in Word it breaks formatting badly. As an example, after closing current segment and then opening new one Word could change font properties of a text to be translated.

Reading Trados documentation on this does not helped me.

Please help me where to find a guidelines on how to edit such files, or what else should I do to minimize re-formatting process after translation.

Thank you in advance,

Vadim.
Collapse

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:52
German to English
+ ...
Retranslate automatically. Sep 2, 2002

My advice, although it\'s not really a fix, but a work-around, is as follows:

1. Keep a separate copy of the original.

2. When you have finished translating the file, run an automatic translation over the original.

3. Check that all the file has been translated.

This usually works for me.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:52
English to German
+ ...
Check Word paragraph formatting vs. character formatting Sep 2, 2002

I have seen this happen with badly formatted Word files, for example, where the font in the formatting template (say, Times New Roman 10pt) is manually changed (to say, Arial 11pt). Since Word stores such formatting information at the end of a paragraph (at least that\'s how I recall it), you may see a change upon closing the last segment of a paragraph.

Not the only reason for such behaviour, but a frequent one. Check the di
... See more
I have seen this happen with badly formatted Word files, for example, where the font in the formatting template (say, Times New Roman 10pt) is manually changed (to say, Arial 11pt). Since Word stores such formatting information at the end of a paragraph (at least that\'s how I recall it), you may see a change upon closing the last segment of a paragraph.

Not the only reason for such behaviour, but a frequent one. Check the discussion forums on www.translationzone.com for more info.
Collapse

mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
English to Portuguese
Try: Trados workbench/Setup/fonts Sep 2, 2002

Hello,

Do you mean that the target segment gets a different format compared to the source segment?

If this is the case please ensure you have your Trados Workbench configured so the target and the source segments use the same font. To do that, on the workbench go to File, Setup, Fonts and on the middle box ensure the source font and the target one are the same. Select as appropriate and ensure that selection is confirmed appearing on the bottom box. Cli
... See more
Hello,

Do you mean that the target segment gets a different format compared to the source segment?

If this is the case please ensure you have your Trados Workbench configured so the target and the source segments use the same font. To do that, on the workbench go to File, Setup, Fonts and on the middle box ensure the source font and the target one are the same. Select as appropriate and ensure that selection is confirmed appearing on the bottom box. Click on OK and check if the problem is solved opening a segment on your file.

I am not sure this will help you, but you can give it a try.

Best regards,

Mónica Machado

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problems translating Word files using Trados.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »