How to copy & paste texts that are pictures
Thread poster: Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:08
Italian to German
Sep 2, 2002

I need to copy & paste texts that are pictures in a Word document, in order to translate them with our Mac Hypercard translation system, but I can\'t get the text to be seen as characters, not even uploading it into the internet either unchanged or saved as a web page and going on \"see HTML\".

Thanks for your help!

Martin from Udine

Michael Tovbin
Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:08
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
text as pictures Sep 2, 2002

If my understanding is correct, you have some text represented as graphics that you need to convert into actual text.

The options I know about are:

1. Print it, scan it into the computer, and use a character recognition program to convert it into editable text.

2. Try and find a direct character recognition program that will read you graphical format and convert it into editable text.

In both the cases, if you ne
... See more
If my understanding is correct, you have some text represented as graphics that you need to convert into actual text.

The options I know about are:

1. Print it, scan it into the computer, and use a character recognition program to convert it into editable text.

2. Try and find a direct character recognition program that will read you graphical format and convert it into editable text.

In both the cases, if you need it in the original graphical format in the target language, you will have to do the back conversion.

Depending on amount of text, it may be easier to reproduce the text directly in some graphical editor (like Photoshop) making it look like the original.

I hope this helps.

Regards

MT
Collapse

Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Print and Scan Sep 2, 2002

I don\'t know if this is the best way to go around this, but a while ago I printed the images (text) and then scanned it with some Text recognition software. It worked for me, and hopefully it will work for you!

So long

Rufino

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What exactly do you need to translate? Sep 2, 2002

When you\'re referring to \"texts that are pictures\", I\'m not 100% sure what that means. Do you mean text that is embedded in a Word graph?

cheungmo
cheungmo
English to French
+ ...
A little complicated but this should work Sep 2, 2002

If the pictures are pictures without any actual text (the text is \"drawn\" rather than characters), you may have to use a workaround.

Export the pictures or pages to a graphic file format (a TIFF file, for instance, its used by many faxing programs) and haul it into optical character recognition software (most accept TIFF files) and work from there.

If the text is simply labels and graph titles, it might be easier and faster to simply do it by
... See more
If the pictures are pictures without any actual text (the text is \"drawn\" rather than characters), you may have to use a workaround.

Export the pictures or pages to a graphic file format (a TIFF file, for instance, its used by many faxing programs) and haul it into optical character recognition software (most accept TIFF files) and work from there.

If the text is simply labels and graph titles, it might be easier and faster to simply do it by hand (print it out and translate from the printed page).

Collapse

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
TOPIC STARTER
it's a Mac!! :-((((( Sep 3, 2002

so Giuliana\'s genial-sounding proposal she mailed me (to right-click on the picture and go to \"field mark\") can\'t save me. For Ralf: it\'s text as part of the picture, I can\'t copy and paste it without the rest of the picture.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-03 12:37 ]

jinshi
jinshi
Local time: 07:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try Photoshop Sep 3, 2002

Try to open the problem graph in Photoshop. Then you are able to cut the desired part off, or even edit text.

Hope this can help you.

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:08
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Just open picture file by character recognition software Sep 4, 2002

Most of character recognition software tools (my favourute is FineReader)accept source picture files in TIFF and many other formats. So it\'s not necessary to print and scan them.

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:08
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Addition to my previous reply Sep 4, 2002

If your picture is embedded in Word document, select and copy it, then paste in any graphical editor, then save as picture file, which is accepted by your character recognition soft.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to copy & paste texts that are pictures

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »