https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/4883-can%60t_see_files_in_word.html

Can`t see files in Word...
Thread poster: Mike Ck
Mike Ck
Mike Ck
Spain
Local time: 18:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 2, 2002

About 3 months ago I did a translation of a whole series of product spec sheets. They were a pain to do because they were ppt mounted documents sent in Word - pics, diagrams and text, so it was very awkward because moving outside the blocks completely screwed up the whole document.

I`m about to do the the manuales for the same company which will be several months work. Having recently installed Wordfast I realised I could \"retranslate\" a few of my files to build up a good
... See more
About 3 months ago I did a translation of a whole series of product spec sheets. They were a pain to do because they were ppt mounted documents sent in Word - pics, diagrams and text, so it was very awkward because moving outside the blocks completely screwed up the whole document.

I`m about to do the the manuales for the same company which will be several months work. Having recently installed Wordfast I realised I could \"retranslate\" a few of my files to build up a good TM.

Going back to my files I can see the whole file in preview but not in normal, just a lot of blank space and the odd diagram or sentence...What do I have to do/change in Word to get my files \"back\"?

Thanks for your time and help.

Mike
Collapse

Tehno
Tehno
Local time: 19:46
Romanian
+ ...
Use the originals Sep 2, 2002

The original document was screwed up? If so, go back to the original document and use it \"as is\". All the rest I think is too hard.

While editing in Word, if you made a mistake, use immediately Ctrl+Z to remade the previous form of the document. Use Ctrl+Y if you’re wrong using Ctrl+Z (that’s the alternative switch).

I hope it helps.

Mike Ck
Mike Ck
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I want is... Sep 2, 2002

the translated documents. What I want to do is simply mimic the translation procedure going through with a \"translation\" to build up a TM. The files I have are in Spanish, the originals in English, on CD. What I can`t do is get my translated documents in Spanish (on my hard disk) to appear.

What I saying is that I don`t want to actually translate the documents again, but simply type out the translations as as if I was doing a translation and in this way create a TM which I
... See more
the translated documents. What I want to do is simply mimic the translation procedure going through with a \"translation\" to build up a TM. The files I have are in Spanish, the originals in English, on CD. What I can`t do is get my translated documents in Spanish (on my hard disk) to appear.

What I saying is that I don`t want to actually translate the documents again, but simply type out the translations as as if I was doing a translation and in this way create a TM which I can subsequently use on further translations.
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:46
German to English
You could try ... Sep 3, 2002

display hidden text.

Tools menu - Options - View tab - tick hidden text.

Mike Ck
Mike Ck
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing works... Sep 3, 2002

At least I can`t see what it is I have to do. I`m at a total loss. The documents are there in preview but not in normal...

Any other solutions will be more than welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Pere Ferrés Gurt
Pere Ferrés Gurt  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are not he only one Sep 3, 2002

I came across the same problem with files a client of mine sent me to translate. I could see them in the preview and i could print them, but i could not see any texts or images in normal view, and so i could not translate the texts.

At least in my case, the problem was the Microsfot Office release. I had instyalled Microsoft Office XP and that was the problem.

When I tried to open the files in Microsoft Word 2000 everything was OK and I could work on the
... See more
I came across the same problem with files a client of mine sent me to translate. I could see them in the preview and i could print them, but i could not see any texts or images in normal view, and so i could not translate the texts.

At least in my case, the problem was the Microsfot Office release. I had instyalled Microsoft Office XP and that was the problem.

When I tried to open the files in Microsoft Word 2000 everything was OK and I could work on the files without any problem.

Do you work with Office XP? Maybe this is the problem.

Please let me know if I am of any help.

Pere
Collapse

Mike Ck
Mike Ck
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Won`t work because... Sep 4, 2002

I don`t have XP and its Word 2000 I use!! It must be some parameter or other but I`m damned if I can find whats wrong. The frustrating thing is I translated these documents using Word 2000. Somehow in the lapse of time since I last looked at them something has happened...

Thanks for your time, Mike

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Let's have a look at the files Sep 5, 2002

Contact me through my ProZ profile - I\'d like to take a look at one of those files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can`t see files in Word...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »