Mobile menu

How to copy text boxes / preset char size
Thread poster: schmurr

schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
Italian to German
+ ...
Sep 5, 2002

I\'m forced to write over thousands of text bits in drawings in Word. Can one copy the text boxes (i. e. not only the contents, because I lose a lot of time in sizing the boxes and their text) or at least preset the font size once for all times? possibly on Mac!

I presume there is no way of eliminating Bill Gates\'s dumbest of all idiocies, the automatic capitalization at the beginning of the line?

Yours sadly (they told me to speed up and finish the last 16 pages in four hours)

Martin

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-05 15:11 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Bill Gates capitalizes on your problem Sep 6, 2002

Don\'t know \'bout them text boxes, but you can at least turn off the capital letters by going into the Tools menu and then clicking autocorrect (I think - I use the Polish version of Word 2000). There you will find a checkbox saying something along the lines of \"beginning of sentence with capital letter\". Uncheck the bugger and you\'ve got one problem less.

Every time I ever have to reinstall MS Office, it takes me half a day to get rid of all the stupid default settings to have the software behave correctly.

HTH

Paul Skalinski

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
yes you can... Sep 6, 2002

1. You can copy text boxes -- just select the text box and position the cursor pointer near the boundary until it turns into a hand icon. Now copy the text box (Cmd-C or menu command) and then paste it wherever you wish. You can also reposition it using the same hand (press the Cmd key while moving it to disable Word\'s align-to-grid default).

2. You can disable automatic capitalisation of sentences: Tools>Autocorrect>Autocorrect> disable \'Capitalise first letter of sentences\'.

By the way, as a translator my personal candidate for the most aggravating feature of Word is that it doesn\'t count text inside text boxes for the word count .

PS: the above suggestions are for Word 2001 (Mac) -- and I can also recommend \'Word 2001 - The Missing Manual\' (Pogue/O\'Reilly) as an excellent reference for Word (and about the only one that doesn\'t just tell you what you already know or regurgitate all the menus etc.).

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
more... Sep 6, 2002

re \'presetting the text size\':

First select the text and see what style is being use for it. Now select Format>Style and you should see this style highlighted. Click on Modify>Font and select the desired font size, then click on OK as many times as necessary to exit the top-level dialogue. Now all text in your document that uses this style will have the selected font size. Of course, if your document was generated by a style ignoramus -- as most are -- all the text in the document will use the Normal style (with the possible exception of some headings), and EVERYTHING will change. Oh well...

Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Kenneth, Sep 6, 2002

thanks a lot for your extremely useful advice!! especially that for disabling Word\'s align-to-grid function!!

only copying text boxes doesn\'t work. by cmd you mean the apple key, don\'t you? but it copies a little smooth box into my text box - this can\'t be it, I suppose?

Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks to you, too, Paul! Sep 9, 2002

although you posted yours 3 hours earlier, it wasn\'t published yet when I read Kenneth\'s mails. Seems to take time to cross the Atlantic…

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to copy text boxes / preset char size

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs