Proz.com pages all screwed up.
Thread poster: Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 15, 2006

All of a sudden, for the last few hours all of the proz.com pages that I access are coming up in Spanish. How do I get them back to English?

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:53
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...
To get back to preferred language version Jun 15, 2006

Look at the box in the top lefthand corner of your screen. It should say "español" in the box. Click on the down arrow next to the box and select English, then click on the gray button, below. That should get you back to the language you want to be in.

Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New feature? Jun 15, 2006

Thanks, Yolanda!

Is that I a new feature? I can't say that I'd noticed it before. And did I select it by accident, or was it something automatic?

Just curious....

[Edited at 2006-06-15 04:12]

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...
Localizers have been hard at work! Jun 15, 2006

You probably stumbled across the bug that's been switching language interfaces on folks. Did you click on a link in an e-mail? If so, this is a known bug and I understand that the site developers are working on getting rid of it. I've been "high-jacked" a few times myself.

But at least, while we have it, this bug gives folks a chance to admire the really fine handiwork of the volunteer localizers who've been translating ProZ.com's permanent texts into other languages. Take a look at that dropdown list to see which languages are already on board. And there are more on the way. It's been a long time in coming, but was much needed: a translation Website should be displaying the accomplishments of translators--and reaching those non-English speaking clients.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Stuart! Jun 15, 2006

Your neighbour (and a whole team) have been working hard for that and you want to switch back to English?

Come'on give it a try!

Claudia

(Stuart lives next door)

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very handy-dandy feature! Jun 15, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Your neighbour (and a whole team) have been working hard for that and you want to switch back to English?

Come'on give it a try!

Claudia

(Stuart lives next door)

Claudia, I think it's fabulous! And I did give it a try, but quickly switched back to my native English. However, I consider this a new translation resource. When I need a term (like "outsourcer") that I know appears in the permanent ProZ text, I just find it on the English page, then switch languages! Voila.

Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kudoz to Proz.com! Jun 15, 2006

Come'on give it a try!

Claudia

(Stuart lives next door)

I'm glad to see that you got your internet connection "amusements" sorted out, Claudia! I know how much you love to play games with IP addresses and help-desk technicians ...

Regarding the new "site language" feature that I just discovered unintentionally, I think it is great! It will be very useful for folks whose home language is not English.

But for me, I think I'll stick to the English interface, for the single reason that I already got used to it! I know where everything is, and I can find it fast without looking too hard. When it was switched to Spanish, I had to stop and read every single menu entry to find what I was looking for. It slowed me way down…

But it really is a great idea. Kudoz to the Proz.com team (and to my neighbour)!

(PS. I noticed a couple of things in Spanish usage that I thought could be improved: Where should I go to make the suggestions?)

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
That could be interesting too Jun 15, 2006

Stuart Allsop wrote:
... I know where everything is, and I can find it fast without looking too hard. When it was switched to Spanish, I had to stop and read every single menu entry to find what I was looking for. It slowed me way down…

Yes, but maybe if you insist you'll discover some features you don't know yet?

Kudoz to the Proz.com team (and to my neighbour)!

Thank you! And thanks Jane. Many localizations are being worked on right now, it will be amaizing.

(PS. I noticed a couple of things in Spanish usage that I thought could be improved: Where should I go to make the suggestions?)

Here please
http://www.proz.com/topic/45417

You'll see that you're not the only one that thinks so, but we're trying to find common terms for all the Spanish speaking community, it's not impossible!

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz.com pages all screwed up.

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs