Workbench andTag editor \"no longer answering\"
Thread poster: Martine Etienne

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 18, 2002

I have a very large job consisting of HTML pages to be translated. I use Tag editor and workbench from Trados. It is rather slow and does not work that well. Each 5 minutes, I get a message telling that Workbench is no longer answering or more annoying that tageditor does not answer. The only solution is then to close the application with ctrl alt del loosing all the informations (translation) of the file. For some files I have done the job 4 times. I am getting mad. I am asking myself if Trados is really that good. For my part I only encounter problem. D you have a solution for my problem. Otherwise I am asking myself how I will finish the job.

Have a nice day and thanks a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Rainbow and Wordfast Sep 18, 2002

I don\'t know much about Trados but I use two free and reliable tools. Should Trados (or their customer support) fail, try these:

1) Rainbow (a part of free RWS Tools pack) for tagging and untagging

http://www.polyglot.com/shared/tools/

2) Wordfast for translating

http://www.champollion.net

HTH,

David

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No problems with TagEditor for me... Sep 18, 2002

Pilou,

Have you tried contacting Trados support? This sounds very much like a setup problem on your machine - which operating system are you using, and how much RAM does your machine have?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-18 11:10 ]

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
CatsCradle Sep 18, 2002

Pilou,

You could try CatsCradle, it\'s free and the latest version has a TM.

see

http://www.stormdance.freeserve.co.uk/

Florence

----------

correction : the latest version has a glossary only , I just checked (I downloaded this v. only yesterday).

But it\'s a very easy tool for html anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-18 20:17 ]

Marisapad  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
I EXPERIENCED THE SAME Sep 18, 2002

exactly with TagEditor, with large files and with RIGHT computer and system settings.

I discussed long and several times with Trados but they cound\'t help me. They could only encourage me to switch to the latest version of their product, telling that my files were too large for my older version.

I did NOT want to buy a new Trados so I tried to divide the files, to get smaller files, but also dividing by 10

- I contined having pretty large files and

- it continued crashing every 10 minutes.

I don\'t want now to enter here a discussion about which product is the best: I know WordFast and almost all other ones, including Transit, but to be honest, Trados is the only one thay pays my bread.

I hate the people at Trados, but I MUST use their product. For instance, if your client asks you to use TagEditor, you can\'t replace its use with WordFast (that works only in Word and does NOT produce BIF files.)

So in this case I can only tell you not to loose your time in analysing new tools nor to discuss about quality in general: sometimes it happens that the BIF files prepared by your client are a little bit corrupted, or too large, to be used by YOUR TagEditor.

Believe me, the only person who can help you now is your client, who can give you better (or smaller) BIF files (did you check the Trados version required with your client?)

HTH

marisa

Josep Carreras  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
WebBudget XT Sep 18, 2002

WebBudget XT may be your answer.

http://www.webbudget.com

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:42
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So do I Sep 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-18 13:29, Marisapad wrote:

I discussed long and several times with Trados but they cound\'t help me. They could only encourage me to switch to the latest version of their product, telling that my files were too large for my older version.

I hate the people at Trados, but I MUST use their product

I\'ve almost the same feelings... I\'m owner of Trados 3.0, and I upgraded to 5.5. I asked only once Trados support help, and they answered me that I should use the online help, and that they charge for private support (in my country Trados fare for support is equivalent to many translations, and to many working days; I\'m not kidding). Fortunately, that time they answered to my question.

I\'m the kind of user that reads the manuals... but, for God Sake! 139 pages to begin with; next, 253 pages... Sometimes is almost impossible to learn everything.

I\'m sure that my new Trados version has something wrong: when cleaning up the document the file disappears. What shall I do? Use the cleaning function of the macro. The tip was given here, at Proz.com, when someone asked for help due to the same problem: the translation file disappeared after the cleaning process.

Also, I\'ve unsuccessfully tried twice to download the tutorial... Does it work?

I know Trados is a must but... I would like its people and its policies to be less arrogant.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I hope this can help Sep 18, 2002

I have found that when Trados 5 gives this kind of problems my hard disk is more than 70% full. This could be a coincidence, but if I manage to clean my disk, after some time and a few reboots things improve dramatically.

I hope this helps. However, Trados customer service policy is a real scandal, and in itself it could be considered a good reason to go for the competition, and to advise all our relations against the acquisition of Trados.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
My experience is totally different Sep 19, 2002

Quote:

However, Trados customer service policy is a real scandal, and in itself it could be considered a good reason to go for the competition, and to advise all our relations against the acquisition of Trados.

I beg to differ - I have been using Trados for more than seven years now. I do have a support agreement - no major problems whatsoever.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-19 05:50 ]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have you installed the 5.5 patch? Sep 19, 2002

Having done a bit of research, I came across a cumulative patch for Trados 5.5:

support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1111. You may need login details for download - contact your local Trados office (generally the one you bought your license from).

You may also want to check the revamped support section on www.translationzone.com.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor Sep 19, 2002

One point is wether you had TagEditor and Workbench installed at the same time. If there\'s a time or even a build difference, it won\'t work.

The other point is wether you have the right DTD settings activated or not. If you have the right settings, you can click on the Connect to Workbench button on the Standard bar to establish the connection to the Workbench.

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you Sep 19, 2002

I have solved my problem using Catscradle (Thanks Oddie) which is a really fantastic tool to translate HTML files, it has even a TM. This tool works fast, never stops abruptly. As far as Trados is concerned, I have bought it because most customers are now asking this software. I have thus bought an expensive software, followed expensive courses and get... nothing very valuable... TM are very often corrupted when you need them so you have to export, import.. lost of time. Tageditor works very slowly. First I believed my computer was responsible, I have a new one and it is still the same problem.

I really recommand castscradle, have a look at it and read the guide. Let\'s hope the author will make an all documents version.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench andTag editor \"no longer answering\"

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs