Mobile menu

printing a PDF file in a readable form
Thread poster: KiwiSue

KiwiSue
Local time: 02:42
German to English
Sep 18, 2002

I have a large PDF document consisting of text and graphics (where some of the graphics boxes include text to be translated) and I want to generate a printout of the whole document that I can read clearly enough to translate from. I tried the following:

View-Continuous-Select All-Copy-Paste into Word file

This gave me some but not all of the text and required so much reformatting of columns, text boxes etc that I have decided working from a hard copy of the PDF file is the best way to translate the whole document.

BUT

When I try to print out the pages (which consist of two facing pages per Acrobat page) the text is too small to read.

I tried all the View options for single page, facing page, etc and I can read the text well when I expand it to 150% but then it won\'t print properly. I tried so many different ways of printing with \"shrink to fit page\", \"autorotate and center\" etc etc but so far I can only find a way to enlarge the text and print off the left-hand side of each Acrobat page, by unchecking all of the printing options (shrink, rotate, etc)but not the right-hand side.

As the file is a large catalogue, I need to be able to read both sides of each page equally well.

Any suggestions?

I\'m exhausted.

Direct link Reply with quote

vela
Malaysia
Local time: 21:42
Malay to English
+ ...
Try Autoformat Sep 19, 2002

Try going to Fomat in the Menu bar in Word.

Select Autoformat. Autoformat and review each change if you like. The style gallery in the review change might help.

I do not see this as helping your document but I think it might reduce your exhaustion.

jinshi
Local time: 21:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try Photoshop Sep 19, 2002

You may apply Photoshop to edit the text in the pictures:

Open Photoshop;

Introduce the source PDF file by selecting \'open\' in the pull-down menu File;

Select the source file;

Click the top-left square in the tool box to select the original text in the pictures;

Hold Ctrl key and click \'x\' to delete the source text;

Click on the \"T\" in the tool box;

Add your translation in the pictures.

Note: This is not a recycle process - once you start editing (choose T) you will not be able to delete the text again. You have to save the changed file before you repeat the process again.

Hope my explanation is clear.

Good Luck!

Dalian Jinshi Translations

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:42
English to German
+ ...
Convert the file Sep 19, 2002

Copy & paste usually doesn\'t work with PDF files. The full Acrobat software lets you save them as RTF files (but even then, there\'s a paragraph mark at the end of each line).

Search the forums for \"PDF\" and \"RTF\" - there have been quite a few threads on this topic recently. I found this one, but I\'m sure there were more:

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=9285&post=15444#15444

xxxNicolette Ri
French to Dutch
+ ...
Do you have to print it out? Sep 19, 2002

If you don\'t need to print it (it takes lots of ink!), you can also directly work on the screen: open the PDF document, make it readable, open a new Word document and type your translation. You can switch between the PDF file and the Word file with Alt + tab. Or ask your client for a printed copy of the catalogue.

KiwiSue
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice, tried it but Wordfast but it doesnt solve formatting problem Sep 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 05:58, Lemster wrote:

Copy & paste usually doesn\'t work with PDF files. The full Acrobat software lets you save them as RTF files (but even then, there\'s a paragraph mark at the end of each line).

Search the forums for \"PDF\" and \"RTF\" - there have been quite a few threads on this topic recently. I found this one, but I\'m sure there were more:

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=9285&post=15444#15444

KiwiSue
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I'm really looking for printing advice now. Sep 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-18 23:28, KiwiSue wrote:

I have a large PDF document consisting of text and graphics (where some of the graphics boxes include text to be translated) and I want to generate a printout of the whole document that I can read clearly enough to translate from. I tried the following:

View-Continuous-Select All-Copy-Paste into Word file

This gave me some but not all of the text and required so much reformatting of columns, text boxes etc that I have decided working from a hard copy of the PDF file is the best way to translate the whole document.

BUT

When I try to print out the pages (which consist of two facing pages per Acrobat page) the text is too small to read.

I tried all the View options for single page, facing page, etc and I can read the text well when I expand it to 150% but then it won\'t print properly. I tried so many different ways of printing with \"shrink to fit page\", \"autorotate and center\" etc etc but so far I can only find a way to enlarge the text and print off the left-hand side of each Acrobat page, by unchecking all of the printing options (shrink, rotate, etc)but not the right-hand side.

As the file is a large catalogue, I need to be able to read both sides of each page equally well.

Any suggestions?

I\'m exhausted.

KiwiSue
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks but I'm really looking for printing advice now Sep 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 03:24, vela wrote:

Try going to Fomat in the Menu bar in Word.

Select Autoformat. Autoformat and review each change if you like. The style gallery in the review change might help.

I do not see this as helping your document but I think it might reduce your exhaustion.

KiwiSue
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I'm really looking for printing advice now. Sep 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 03:47, jinshi wrote:

You may apply Photoshop to edit the text in the pictures:

Open Photoshop;

Introduce the source PDF file by selecting \'open\' in the pull-down menu File;

Select the source file;

Click the top-left square in the tool box to select the original text in the pictures;

Hold Ctrl key and click \'x\' to delete the source text;

Click on the \"T\" in the tool box;

Add your translation in the pictures.

Note: This is not a recycle process - once you start editing (choose T) you will not be able to delete the text again. You have to save the changed file before you repeat the process again.

Hope my explanation is clear.

Good Luck!

Dalian Jinshi Translations

Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:42
French to English
Info on PDF extraction on my Web site Sep 19, 2002

I have a section on what is involved in PDF extraction on my Web site. Maybe something there can help you.

http://www.macroconsulting.com

kostan
Austria
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
follwoing Nicolette's comments: why not split the screen and see both text at the same time Sep 19, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-19 08:48, Nicolette Richy wrote:

If you don\'t need to print it (it takes lots of ink!), you can also directly work on the screen: open the PDF document, make it readable, open a new Word document and type your translation. You can switch between the PDF file and the Word file with Alt + tab. Or ask your client for a printed copy of the catalogue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

printing a PDF file in a readable form

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs