Forgetting to give obligatory info when answering a question
Thread poster: Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
Local time: 02:32
French to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2006

I just typed a lengthy answer to a question, hit send and got a message reminding me I had to state a confidence level. Fair enough except my entire answer had now disappeared meaning retyping the whole thing.

Is it possible to get messages like this without deleting the form?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Sandra Aug 3, 2006

I often forget to choose the confidence level, but when I get the window with an error typed in red, the answer is always there, it has never disappeared! Please try clicking 'go back' button in your browser (if you haven't closed that window, of course).

Natalia

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad I'm not the only "head in the clouds" sometimes! Aug 3, 2006

Thanks for replying so promptly Natalie. The "back button" trick didn't work though it sounds like I missed something. There's no reason why the site should work differently for us

Next time I'll answer I'll deliberately forget to indicate confidence and make a note of what happens!

Thanks again
Sandra

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 19:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
A little trick ;) Aug 3, 2006

Hmmm... the times it has happened to me (yes, I often have my head in the clouds), my answer has not been deleted.

But to avoid that and any other error that can happen (browser errors, mostly), I use this little trick: I type my answer, with references, etc. in Notepad, and then copy&paste it in the KudoZ window

[Edited at 2006-08-03 15:53]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Bug Aug 3, 2006

Hi again,

Sandra, it has just happened to me. It is an obvious bug. I'll submit a support request.

Natalia

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Aug 3, 2006

Maria Teresa for the "cut and past" idea - I'll do that with lengthy answers in future.

And thanks Natalie for confirming there is a problem and for reporting the bug. Glad my post has been useful!

Kind regards
Sandra

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No back button needed Aug 3, 2006

When you get the little red message, just go back down and correct the problem, everything is there, then send it out.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:32
Spanish to English
Copy answer before posting it Aug 3, 2006

Sandra Petch wrote:

I just typed a lengthy answer to a question, hit send and got a message reminding me I had to state a confidence level. Fair enough except my entire answer had now disappeared meaning retyping the whole thing.

Is it possible to get messages like this without deleting the form?

Your exact dilemma has never happened to me, but before I had broadband, I would often type an answer and then click to post it, only to realise that I had been cut off (resulting in answer no longer available), so I got into the habit of copying my answer before sending it, just in case. I also got into the habit of posting half of the answer (if it was especially long) and then adding to it.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:32
German to English
+ ...
Yes, copy and/or use Notepad Aug 4, 2006

Nikki Graham wrote:
longer available), so I got into the habit of copying my answer before sending it, just in case. I also got into the habit of posting half of the answer (if it was especially long) and then adding to it.

That was going to be my reply too, before I saw yours. To elaborate: "copying" is simply selecting the text and then pressing Ctrl+C (so you can paste - Ctrl+V - it somewhere if you need to regenerate it). I usually do that for a longish text, when there might be a risk of losing it.
For extra safety, I often then start EditPad Lite (the improved clone of NotePad that I use) and paste the text there (Ctrl+V). I don't usually save the result as a file, unless there's a reason for keeping my own copy of it.
Now, I'll just select this text, press Ctrl+C, and then send it....
Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forgetting to give obligatory info when answering a question

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »