How does one enter URLs with a title in a forum post?
Thread poster: Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 15, 2006

I find that sometime if I use the (url=address)title(/url) syntax (where the parenteses actually represent square brackets) it works, and sometimes it doesn't especially if the url i wanted to link to has spaces in it.

I tried to search the FAQs and even the forums, but have not found any clear explanation.

[Edited at 2006-08-15 23:08]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:53
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
an answer to a different question, but Aug 15, 2006

it may work...

what about using tinyURL? Then the probability of some strange character kicking in is much lower.

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's try it Aug 15, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

what about using tinyURL? Then the probability of some strange character kicking in is much lower.

Let's se if this link now works.

Yes: seems to be working OK, while a long url to the same place apparently does not work.

Vito: thank you very much for the useful suggestion.

Site staff: any suggestion? Is this a bug?

[Edited at 2006-08-15 23:27]

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spaces Aug 15, 2006

URLs aren't really supposed to contain spaces. Try replacing each space with %20, the "URL code" for a space, that might solve the problem.

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
%20 Aug 15, 2006

Actually, I think that the problem is created by the %20: if you click on the link above (the one that does not work properly), you'll get to a blogger "site not found" page, but the url contains the correct address, only with the spaces not resolved correctly (showing instead "%20").

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Is the space correct? Aug 16, 2006

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Actually, I think that the problem is created by the %20: if you click on the link above (the one that does not work properly), you'll get to a blogger "site not found" page, but the url contains the correct address, only with the spaces not resolved correctly (showing instead "%20").

When I copy the URL and remove the %20 (and thus the space), the link does work for me. Are you sure it's supposed to contain a space? When I click on the tinyURL link, the URL shown in the address bar doesn't contain a space either.

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aug 16, 2006

[Edited at 2006-08-16 00:14]

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right, but the space is created by the ProZ "Topic Body" box Aug 16, 2006

Percy Balemans wrote:

When I copy the URL and remove the %20 (and thus the space), the link does work for me. Are you sure it's supposed to contain a space? When I click on the tinyURL link, the URL shown in the address bar doesn't contain a space either.

you are correct that there is no space in the original url: apparently it is an artifact of the wrap function of the "Topic body" box in ProZ: The text get wrapped at the dash in the Url, and apparently a spurious space gets added.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
HTML Aug 16, 2006

This is a test using HTML syntax:
link

This works. The syntax is:
<a href="the full URL">the title</a>

[Edited at 2006-08-16 06:52]

Riccardo Schiaffino
United States
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let me try Aug 16, 2006

Hynek Palatin wrote:

This is a test using HTML syntax:
link

Let me try, since in the past this didn't work for me:

test

It works, but at this point I'm really puzzled, since in the past I tried to just use regular html syntax, with strange results (it usually seemed to link back to the post).

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions!

[Edited at 2006-08-16 14:41]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »