Trados 5.5 disappeared from Word!
Thread poster: Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:35
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2002

I will contact tranzlationzone about this but before that perhaps anyone of you can help me?

I opened Word to translate a document and the trados toolbar is gone! I open Workbench but nothing happens.

I feel very empathic with Jef, you are right it is a difficult and expensive tool, support should come with it (I saw they offered 2 days training for the same price as the whole Trados 5.5 packet, ludicrous I think!)

Thank you in advance

... See more
I will contact tranzlationzone about this but before that perhaps anyone of you can help me?

I opened Word to translate a document and the trados toolbar is gone! I open Workbench but nothing happens.

I feel very empathic with Jef, you are right it is a difficult and expensive tool, support should come with it (I saw they offered 2 days training for the same price as the whole Trados 5.5 packet, ludicrous I think!)

Thank you in advance

Anette
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
First of all: keep cool Oct 6, 2002

There is probably nothing missing in your system, but only the templates are corrupted.

Close all programms.

Search your system for thosw two files \"trados*.dot\" and \"normal.dot\".

If you find a TRADOS*.DOT it should be in a directory such as \"c:\\...\\word\\startup\" where the pointed part depends on your operating system and loaction of Office installation. If this is the case, so most probably your \"Normal.dot\" is corrupted or you deactivated the TRADOS too
... See more
There is probably nothing missing in your system, but only the templates are corrupted.

Close all programms.

Search your system for thosw two files \"trados*.dot\" and \"normal.dot\".

If you find a TRADOS*.DOT it should be in a directory such as \"c:\\...\\word\\startup\" where the pointed part depends on your operating system and loaction of Office installation. If this is the case, so most probably your \"Normal.dot\" is corrupted or you deactivated the TRADOS toolbar. But the last option is quie unlike, as you stated you opened Workbench and nothing happend. I assume, you tried to open a segment with \"Alt + Home\" (\"Pos1\" in a German PC). In this case rename \"Normal.dot\" to \"Normal.do_\" and start Word again. Word creates a new, empty Normal.dot template. Now the TRADOS toolbar should be visible.

If it helped, you should organize your autotextes and so on from your old \"Normal.dot\". For this purpose, rename your old \"Normal.do_\" to \"Normal_old.dot\" and follow the instructions on copying templates and autotextes from the Word help. I cannot provide a description for it in English, because I use German Word. For further assistance on this case please contact me privately via my profile.

Should this not help, so try to reinstall TRADOS. You do not need to deinstall it, and you will not loose your files. So go on and install TRADOS again over your actuall installation.

This should help in any case.

If this does not work, provie more information what happens and what happend (or what you did) befor TRADOS toolbar dissapeared.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:35
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Oct 6, 2002

Thank you so much Jersy, it did work, I copied the trados template to startup and it worked even better. Now I only get the translated text in the document where before I had both languages and all those purpre squiggles.

Cheers

Anette

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not ludicrous at all Oct 7, 2002

Quote:

I beg to disagree - quite a few of the freelancers I work with have attended the Trados course - looking at the amount of information provided and the technical setup at their training centr
... See more
Quote:

I beg to disagree - quite a few of the freelancers I work with have attended the Trados course - looking at the amount of information provided and the technical setup at their training centre (both Stuttgart and Dublin), the trainings are good value, actually. I know it\'s not *cheap*, neither is the software - but let\'s not forget we\'re talking about professional business tools here.
Collapse

Maria Danielson
Maria Danielson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
also having toolbar trouble with Trados Oct 7, 2002

I use Trados 3. It has mysteriously *added* extra Trados buttons to my Word toolbar. Now I have not just one but three drop-down Trados buttons on my Word toolbar. All identical. I can\'t seem to remove them. They each appeared on separate occasions. Maybe Trados has a template bug.

Regards,

Maria Danielson

Dutch - English

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
"Mysterious" additional toolbars Oct 7, 2002

The first important thing is that there is no single Word tool bar, but there can be more than one (usually, several separate tool bars are displayed). Each additional tool bar generally needs an additional template containing the corresponding macros.

You can control the display of tool bars via the View>Toolbar option (I\'m guessing to a certain extent, since I\'m using a German version of Word). The Trados tool bar is called \"TW4Win\" - if that appears several times, ch
... See more
The first important thing is that there is no single Word tool bar, but there can be more than one (usually, several separate tool bars are displayed). Each additional tool bar generally needs an additional template containing the corresponding macros.

You can control the display of tool bars via the View>Toolbar option (I\'m guessing to a certain extent, since I\'m using a German version of Word). The Trados tool bar is called \"TW4Win\" - if that appears several times, check your Office Autostart folder (the default location is

c:\\program files\\microsoft office\\office\\startup). Check if the Trados template (can\'t remember the exact file name in TW3 - probably something like TW4Win*.dot) is in there more than once.

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 disappeared from Word!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »