Cleaned Trados files twice the size of the original - can anyone help?
Thread poster: Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Oct 7, 2002

I’ve been working for one client on an on-going project which consists of big formatted Word documents (User Manuals). These files are sometimes very difficult to handle because they include all possible formatting such as screen shots, pictures with text boxes and cross references with TOC and Index. My Word slows down quite a bit and Trados brings up error messages every now and again while working on these files. In spite of all this, I have persisted and somehow always managed to translate... See more
I’ve been working for one client on an on-going project which consists of big formatted Word documents (User Manuals). These files are sometimes very difficult to handle because they include all possible formatting such as screen shots, pictures with text boxes and cross references with TOC and Index. My Word slows down quite a bit and Trados brings up error messages every now and again while working on these files. In spite of all this, I have persisted and somehow always managed to translate the files with Trados and eventually clean them up successfully - at least that\'s what it looks like. Now I noticed that the cleaned Trados target files are twice the size (or even bigger) of the original English files (e.g. 2,197KB as opposed to 1,745KB or 10,218KB as opposed to 3,883KB!!!).

In the translationzone.com Knowledge Base I found this article:

\'Increased File Size after Clean Up\' (http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=872) but it doesn’t help me much. Does anyone know this problem? If yes, could you please advice me what I can do to prevent this happening or to reduce the size of the already cleaned file.

Thank you very much!

Minna

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-07 14:01 ]
Collapse

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion. Oct 7, 2002

Try saving the cleaned-up file with a different name.

HTH

Ana

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which Word version are those files? Oct 7, 2002

Word files written with previous versions (6.0/7.0) were smaller than the files written with Word 97/2000/XP, so perhaps this may be the cause.

Check, if you are saving the file bevor cleanup as eg. Word 6.0/95 (7.0), because it is possible that TRADOS saves them in the newest Word format.

But it seems to me you have the option \"Quick save\" checked in Word. It means, the file is saved with everything what was in there, including deleted text and so on. Uncheck th
... See more
Word files written with previous versions (6.0/7.0) were smaller than the files written with Word 97/2000/XP, so perhaps this may be the cause.

Check, if you are saving the file bevor cleanup as eg. Word 6.0/95 (7.0), because it is possible that TRADOS saves them in the newest Word format.

But it seems to me you have the option \"Quick save\" checked in Word. It means, the file is saved with everything what was in there, including deleted text and so on. Uncheck this option and check \"Save with a backup copy\" instead. The file size should rapidly go down then. Notice, that \"Quick save\" is per default set in Word.

Jerzy
Collapse

Elzbieta Wojcicka
Elzbieta Wojcicka
Netherlands
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
DOC format + images Oct 7, 2002

It sounds like a problem caused by the conversion to RTF which is Trados working format. When you run a pre-translation or clean up from Workbench, Trados will convert the files from DOC to RTF, execute the pre-translation / clean up and convert the files back to DOC. That\'s not a problem with simple files, but when there are many screenshots etc. in the file, the size of such file can grow even twice.

The way around, if you already finished the translation and have
... See more
It sounds like a problem caused by the conversion to RTF which is Trados working format. When you run a pre-translation or clean up from Workbench, Trados will convert the files from DOC to RTF, execute the pre-translation / clean up and convert the files back to DOC. That\'s not a problem with simple files, but when there are many screenshots etc. in the file, the size of such file can grow even twice.

The way around, if you already finished the translation and have a memory:

1) Make a copy of the original file and open it.

2) In Word, go Tools->Options->View and choose the option Show ->Field codes. After you click OK, instead of all the embedded pictures, you should see only some codes.

3) Open Workbench and your memory. Make sure that the option Translated text colours is set to Unchanged.

4) On the Trados bar in Word, click \'Translate to Fuzzy\'. Since everything is already in the memory, the whole file should be translated at once.

4) Go to Tools->Macro->Macros and run a macro called tw4winClean. The source text and Trados delimiters will be deleted and only the target text will remain in the file.

5) Go again to Tools->Options->View and uncheck the option Show ->Field codes. Now you should see all the pictures again.

6) Save the file. As the file was not converted to RTF, the file size should not be affected that much.

Good luck
Collapse

fdais
fdais
Local time: 06:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's about file conversion Oct 8, 2002

I used to have that problem, and mailing back the clean, translated document took ages! At first I thought it was all about the images, but then I discovered that saving the clean .rtf document as .doc without the need to change the name solved my problem.

Hope this reduces your Kb\'s!

mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
English to Portuguese
try saving the cleaned file to a diff. path Oct 8, 2002

Hello Minna,

It sometimes happens to me too. Till now, I have solved this by saving that cleaned but \"too-big\" file to a different directory using the same name. Then I delete the \"too-big\" file and move the new one to the directory I want.

It usually works with me and I don\'t need to change the format at all (either word or rtf).

Kind regards,

Mónica Machado

... See more
Hello Minna,

It sometimes happens to me too. Till now, I have solved this by saving that cleaned but \"too-big\" file to a different directory using the same name. Then I delete the \"too-big\" file and move the new one to the directory I want.

It usually works with me and I don\'t need to change the format at all (either word or rtf).

Kind regards,

Mónica Machado

Collapse

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Oct 9, 2002

... very much for the advice, eveyone! I really appreciate all your efforts as I didn\'t know many of the things you mentioned. However, I couldn\'t solve my problem with the advice given here, but what I did, instead, was to convert all the embedded objects (screen shots and pictures) into graphics (according to the MS Word help). And this seemed to do the trick - the document looks exactly like it used to but the size is drastically reduced.

Now I can only hope that my problem is a
... See more
... very much for the advice, eveyone! I really appreciate all your efforts as I didn\'t know many of the things you mentioned. However, I couldn\'t solve my problem with the advice given here, but what I did, instead, was to convert all the embedded objects (screen shots and pictures) into graphics (according to the MS Word help). And this seemed to do the trick - the document looks exactly like it used to but the size is drastically reduced.

Now I can only hope that my problem is a thing in the past (I am still waiting for my client\'s comments, though...)

Minna

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaned Trados files twice the size of the original - can anyone help?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »