Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
search-engine results for proz profiles
Thread poster: Marina Varouta

Marina Varouta  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:11
Sep 20, 2006

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to desactivate the search-engine indexing of our profile in all languages.

I searched my name in Google, and noticed that the two first result pages are dedicated to my proz profile or articles, i.e. its duplicates in all languages. Does this help? I do not speak russian, brazilian or roumanian and am not interested to show my profile in those languages, unless someone searches "Greek translator music" in Russian or Albanian. Shouldn't proz search engine website optimization permit to prevent those "duplicates"?

I think this problem has to do with the system; the pages are created as separate:
eng.proz.com/pro/584504
rus.proz.com/pro/584504

If they could be created as
www.proz.com/pro/584504.php?language=eng
www.proz.com/pro/584504.php?language=rus
this duplicate problem could be resolved.

Of course, someone who has few references in internet is happy to have 10 references through proz. But I must say that I find it very disturbing!

Marina

[Edited at 2006-09-20 08:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

English Chinese Medical Translator - Jimmy Deng  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 17:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
same problem for me Sep 20, 2006

And I agree with Marina. It just distracts potential clients.

Jimmy Deng

Marina Varouta wrote:

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to desactivate the search-engine indexing of our profile in all languages.

I searched my name in Google, and noticed that the two first result pages are dedicated to my proz profile or articles, i.e. its duplicates in all languages. Does this help? I do not speak russian, brazilian or roumanian and am not interested to show my profile in those languages, unless someone searches "Greek translator music" in Russian or Albanian. Shouldn't proz search engine website optimization permit to prevent those "duplicates"?

I think this problem has to do with the system; the pages are created as separate:
eng.proz.com/pro/584504
rus.proz.com/pro/584504

If they could be created as
www.proz.com/pro/584504.php?language=eng
www.proz.com/pro/584504.php?language=rus
this duplicate problem could be resolved.

Of course, someone who has few references in internet is happy to have 10 references through proz. But I must say that I find it very disturbing!

Marina

[Edited at 2006-09-20 08:06]

Timothy Barton
Local time: 06:11
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
I agree Sep 20, 2006

I've been doing a few searches to see what searches get my name on the first page, and very often my profile in Hungarian or German appears, even when searching English words. I don't think this is particulary helpful, as speakers of the languages I translate will probably not go in, thinking the site is in a language they won't understand; speakers of Hungarian may be more likely to go in, but because they are generally not my potential clients, this does not help in any way whatsoever.

Germany
TOPIC STARTER
distracting potential clients Sep 20, 2006

Hi Timothy and Jimmy, I am glad I am not the only one thinking this way...

It's not only about the profiles, but also the articles I've written in proz. The article text is in French, but in Google they appear in Albanian, Romanian etc. So someone who might potentially be interested to read my articles, will not so easily click and visit an Albanian homepage.

For me it is very problematic, as translation is not my only activity: I am also working as a computer linguist, as a webdesigner and as a computer artist. So those other activities are "lost in proz results" (my name gives about 20 proz results: my profile + each article I've written, in all possible language interfaces).

And I've heard there are more languages coming...

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:11
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Too much on Google Sep 20, 2006

I completely agree. It isn't just the languages but every forum post and every Kudoz answer appears on Google as well. It is extremely distracting for someone who is looking for specific information about you, particularly if you are "wearing other hats" as well. My preference would be to have only my profile appear and only in my working languages - nothing more.

Lesley Clayton
France
French to English
+ ...
Agree wholeheartedly - profile only Sep 20, 2006

I agree that only the profile should be listed in Google.

I most certainly do not want my forum posts, kudoz answers and peer comments to appear in any google search. These things are 'private' between members and users of Proz and me - well, as private as a public site can be.

Thank you Marina, I wasn't aware of this before you posted.

Lesley

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
I'm in full agreement Sep 21, 2006

I too 'wear several hats'. Having read this forum, I took a look on Google - and there are certain of my Kudoz answers, (and why those and not others???) floating in a kind of limbo. On Google and out of the context of a translators' site/forum, they really seem very strange. Indeed, in certain instances, I would rather not imagine what a potential client might think . . .

I know that somewhere here on ProZ there is a note that anything posted on the site is available to search engines - I can't remember right now where it is and at 02.30 a.m. I'm too weary to look for it - but we can't say we weren't warned . . .

From my personal point of view, my profile is my 'public face' and what happens between us on the site is, to quote Lesley. "...as private as a public site can be".

However, there are sure to be many people who disagree with this particular point of view and I therefore have a request to those people who feel strongly enough about this issue to have posted on this forum - and who are members, rather than users of this site. Perhaps one of you could post a suggestion along these lines on this forum thread:

http://www.proz.com/topic/55502

Could ProZ not offer the choice as to which aspects of our activities on the site are available to search engines and in which languages (e.g. 'your languages'/all languages) they appear? As another dashboard, for example? (Even make this a 'members only' privilege, if necessary . . . )

Thank you, Marina!
Caryl

[Edited at 2006-09-21 02:04]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:11
English to French
+ ...
Let me explain Sep 22, 2006

This multiplication of links on Google - and probably elsewhere too -increases site traffic and is worth big bucks. Will ProZ give up on that kind of money? As much as I'd like to believe it and as much as I agree with the above posts, I don't think so.

I think outsourcers have become the main focus of the Translators Workplace - and whether people can read all about us in detail on Google is probably not a reason good enough for them to give up on the added traffic, that is the added revenue.

But, just in case a person with power to decide is reading this - please, do take my stuff off of Google. Only keep my profile. This is just adding to my personal list of reasons to leave the site. And without the freelancers, you can have all the outsourcers in the world, you will still not make a penny. Don't forget that...

A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 15:11
hear, hear! Sep 22, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

But, just in case a person with power to decide is reading this - please, do take my stuff off of Google. Only keep my profile. This is just adding to my personal list of reasons to leave the site.

I have nothing further to add.

Germany
TOPIC STARTER
changing profile name? Sep 22, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
This is just adding to my personal list of reasons to leave the site.

Well, I did not think of leaving the site, but I certainly thought of hiding my real name on the profile. But this would make me lose clients and would also prevent people from finding my profile in the search engines.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
search-engine results for proz profiles Sep 22, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

This multiplication of links on Google - and probably elsewhere too -increases site traffic and is worth big bucks. Will ProZ give up on that kind of money?

I don't understand this. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Proz.com actually pays for the traffic and most of its revenue comes from the members. And as for the increased exposure of the site - isn't it what we all want and what we pay for? More exposure - more outsourcers - more jobs to choose from?

...please, do take my stuff off of Google.

You can easily do it by yourself by removing everything you ever wrote to the (public) forums and kudoz.

Germany
TOPIC STARTER
More exposure - more outsourcers - more jobs. Yes, but how? Sep 22, 2006

Hynek Palatin wrote:
isn't it what we all want and what we pay for? More exposure - more outsourcers - more jobs to choose from?

Dear Hynek, I agree, but do you think you'll get more jobs because an Albanian company clicks on your profile to discover that you're not translating into Albanian, even if your profile title is in Albanian?

Do you really believe that a prospect would be converted to a client because, by searching your internet references in Google, he found 20 of them he couldn't even read, or because he discovered that those 20 references were just 1 ref. + 19 mirrors?

More exposure - more outsourcers - more jobs: yes, but in a specific and calculated way. "Geziehlte Werbung".

Yes, of course I can fly over Indonesia and throw 100.000.000 flyers advertising my German to French translation services - the flyer could also be written in Greek or in Czech. Who can read it? How many clients does this bring?

And if my French client hears that I'm flying over Indonesia throwing Greek flyers, perhaps he might reconsider our collaboration.

Hynek Palatin wrote:
You can easily do it by yourself by removing everything you ever wrote to the (public) forums and kudoz.

Yes of course, there are other translator and business networks.
But here we're discussing solutions and offering Proz ideas for customer satisfaction. Tranlator and outsourcer satisfaction is what keeps them in Proz, and translators' content is what MAKES Proz. So I don't think that Proz will just tell them "just stop writing and let us do our business".

[Edited at 2006-09-22 08:08]

Canada
English to French
+ ...
Answer to Hynek Sep 22, 2006

To address your first point... If this site had no traffic, potential clients (outsourcers) wouldn't come here to offer jobs. What makes many translators decide to sign up for this site? The number of jobs posted. Therefore, the more traffic the site get, the more jobs there are up here, the more translators become paying members, the more money ProZ makes. It's a very simple equation.

To address your second point... The things I've said in the forum and in KudoZ should stay there, as most of those things are meant to help people in difficult situations or open their eyes so that they understand what they are doing here and how they can contribute to make our indutry better, thereby helping the entire community. However, I wrote my posts and answered KudoZ questions to the users of this site, not to the whole wide world. When I started posting here, I purposedly checked beforehand to see if any of this is available on Google and other search engine specifically because I don't want to be overheard by people I am not talking to. I want to speak privately. Then I posted lots of stuff - which is now available to anyone who's interested to read it (and in a way, spy on me). If I was to remove my contributions, this community would lose a part of the help I am offering. And if all of those who are concerned started removing all their contributions - well, this site would become a pretty lonely, and let's face it, useless place to be.

Finally, this really bothers me because, once again, like it seems to be a habit in the administration of this site, we were not made aware that we were going public. It comes down to the same things as someone distributing my phone number behind my back, without me knowing it. The people I address my contributions to can find them all on the site, since they also use the site. Why would I need Google to carry it? It's not Google users I'm addressing...

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please post to "Let's improve ProZ.com" thread Sep 22, 2006

What folks have been saying in this thread is exactly the kind of concern that Henry has asked that everyone share in the thread he opened asking for input from folks who'd like to see changes made to the site. See:

http://www.proz.com/topic/55502

So please, let's get these concerns where they're going to be read and acted on!

=========

PS: As you can tell from my membership number, I've been around "here" for a long, long time, and I've been able to find my ProZ.com activities via Google for a long, long time, too: the site was always designed to be found by search engines. That's why, for instance, we were encouraged to enter keywords in our profiles. Getting multiply indexed for all those language versions of ProZ.com may be overkill, but the site was never designed to be a closed community.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
The profile, yes, the forum posts, no Sep 24, 2006

Hi Yolanda,

I know the profiles were visible on Google and you are right, that's what the meta keywords are for. But the forum posts were not visible a few years back. I only started posting once I made sure that my posts didn't appear in search engines. However, this seems to have changed since then - maybe around the time the new profiles were introduced?

What several of us are suggesting here was already suggested in the thread you are redirecting us to. However, that thread is not a discussion of this particular question and we have strict limits as to how much we can say even if we are asked to provide general suggestions, which can take much more room than allotted, if you look at my post in that thread So, we can't really discuss this question per se in the other thread.

I mean only to assure you that, although profiles have always been "open", forum posts were "private" and it is frustrating to find out about this by accident. When you speak to someone over the phone without knowing that you're on the speaker, you say things you wouldn't have if you would have known you were on the speaker. Well, you get the idea...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

search-engine results for proz profiles

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs