https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/57022-how_can_i_make_my_site_language_setting_persist.html

How can I make my site language setting persist?
Thread poster: Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 8, 2006

I don't know how many times I've set English as my site language, but every time I go into the forums, the site language changes - most often to Romanian, but I've also had Hungarian, Latvian and Turkish. The other day, when I was looking at profiles, German popped up.

When I'm in the forums and have to reset the site language to English because I get everything in Romanian/Hungarian/whatever yet again (and one does
... See more
I don't know how many times I've set English as my site language, but every time I go into the forums, the site language changes - most often to Romanian, but I've also had Hungarian, Latvian and Turkish. The other day, when I was looking at profiles, German popped up.

When I'm in the forums and have to reset the site language to English because I get everything in Romanian/Hungarian/whatever yet again (and one does like to know what one is clicking on...), I get kicked back to the forum home page and have to start clicking my way back to the forum that I'd like to read and/or post to.

It seems to me that it shouldn't be all that difficult to have a site language setting that persists from one session to the next and from one part of the site to the next.

Am I doing something wrong?

If I do want to see the site in a different language, I'll change it, thank you very much. But basically, I want my default site language to be English, regardless of what area I'm looking at. How can I get that setting to persist and not change arbitrarily?
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you logg out? Oct 8, 2006

You could then remove all cookies and logg in anew, thereby insuring, that your settings are ok.
Regards
Heinrich

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:55
English to Dutch
+ ...
I have the same problem Oct 8, 2006

Just lately the site language is all over the place. I have had mainly German and Spanish. It's annoying!

I will try to log out and remove cookies, but that should not be necessary.

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Logging out does not seem to make a difference Oct 8, 2006

I have not noticed a difference after logging out/logging back in and deleting cookies. I actually did that several times last week for other reasons, and that really set things off with Hungarian and Latvian and German being thrown into the mix.

Case in point (ProZ tech support, perhaps this helps you figure things out?): Just now, when I clicked on "reply/comment" to respond to Heinrich's suggestion, that very click caused the site language - which had been English - to cha
... See more
I have not noticed a difference after logging out/logging back in and deleting cookies. I actually did that several times last week for other reasons, and that really set things off with Hungarian and Latvian and German being thrown into the mix.

Case in point (ProZ tech support, perhaps this helps you figure things out?): Just now, when I clicked on "reply/comment" to respond to Heinrich's suggestion, that very click caused the site language - which had been English - to change to Romanian. So once again, for the umpteenth time, I reset to English, which kicked me back to the forums home page, which then required clicking on the Forums about ProZ tab, then scrolling down to Technical Support, and finding and reopening this thread again. Very annoying.

I'm thinking I'll submit a support ticket.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:55
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Mine regularly gets changed to German Oct 9, 2006

I do live in Germany, of course, but my mother tongue is English, and I so much prefer to have the site in English, as I principally think and communicate in English.

I am sure it is just a slight technical bug, due to all the different languages being added, which will soon be ironed out. I expect we have to be a little bit patient in the meantime.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I make my site language setting persist?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »