someone is intercepting my proz.com emails
Thread poster: Chanda Danley

Chanda Danley  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 10, 2006

Someone has somehow changed the email address on my profile to lacbenmar@yahoo.es. I don't know how this happened at all. How could someone I don't know change my profile email address? This seems kind of scammy to me. Anyone know how this could have happened?

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Jańczuk  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
public PC Oct 10, 2006

Is it possible that you've forgotten to log out from your Proz account on a public computer?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Chanda Oct 10, 2006

First of all, I have moved the thread to ProZ.com technical support forum.

Second, could you please be more specific about the problem? Why do you think the email address has been changed? Did you receive some messages? In other words, how did you discover this?

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More Information Oct 10, 2006

Piotr Jańczuk wrote:

Is it possible that you've forgotten to log out from your Proz account on a public computer?

No, I don't think that would be possible as I have never accessed my Proz account from any other computer besides my home office computer.

I discovered this when I realized that I hadn't received any Kudoz notifications to my email inbox since yesterday evening. I had received other emails as I checked to be sure that I was receiving emails today from other email addresses. Then, I checked my notification settings on the Dashboard and they were all set to on. Then, when I went to check to see if Proz was having problems sending me emails to my primary email address on the notifications menu, I saw that the primary email address on my profile had been changed to lacbenmar@yahoo.es. I changed that email address back to the correct one and also changed my password just in case. But, I still am not sure why or how someone would change my Proz profile primary email address. No other email addresses have been changed on any other accounts that I have in general...even those with the same password.

[Edited at 2006-10-10 10:24]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My phone number has also been changed Oct 10, 2006

I just realized that my phone number has also been changed. I really don't understand. It almost seems as though someone is trying to get any potential contact that I should be receiving.

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
Security gap?! Oct 10, 2006

Chanda, this is a serious problem indeed. I hope you have already made a support request/informed Henry and the IT department about this security gap. It sure smells intentional to me.

Also, I think everyone should be checking their reported email addresses and other data for the remote possibility that this scam may be widespread.

sylvie

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:30
SITE FOUNDER
We'll look into it Oct 10, 2006

We'll check into this this morning. I have not seen other complaints, so for the time being, I'll treat this as a support ticket. Thanks for notifying.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

someone is intercepting my proz.com emails

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs