https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_technical_support/58348-kudoz_toolbar_and_firefox_20.html

KudoZ toolbar and Firefox 2.0
Thread poster: Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:35
German to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2006

Hi,

Just wondering when a version of the KudoZ toolbar will be out that is compatible with the new Firefox 2.0. I upgraded today, and the toolbar was removed because it was not compatible with the new version.

Thanks,
Daina

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
Local time: 02:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Provisional option Oct 26, 2006

No idea, Daina but, meantime, just an idea: you may want to download and try Yahoo! toolbar for Firefox. Apart from the Google-style search box, it features the possibility to add two personal buttons, which you can link to any web address. This is better than the Kudoz bar for two reasons: you don't have to change your search & save settings every time you launch Firefox; and it takes less space. It works for me anyway.
Regards
Paul

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good tip! Oct 26, 2006

Thanks!

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do you make the personal buttons permanent? Oct 27, 2006

Hi Argonauta,

I tried your suggestion, and it worked like a charm - until I log out of Yahoo, which causes the personal buttons to disappear. When I log on, they appear again. How do I make the personal buttons permanent?

Thanks again for the tip!
Daina

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
You could try Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar Oct 28, 2006

Daina, if you haven't solved the issue with the buttons that disappear, you could try Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar. With it, the buttons are permanent and you can add as many buttons as you want.

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try that. Oct 28, 2006

Thanks, I'll try that one next. I think I do need to be logged into Yahoo to keep the personal buttons.

isantiesteban
isantiesteban
Local time: 18:35
English to Spanish
Firefox 2.0 ProZ search plugins Oct 31, 2006

Firefox 2.0 and Internet Explorer 7.0 now accept search plugins for search engines using the POST method, like ProZ.

I've made two search plugins, English-Spanish and Spanish-English, and you can find them here:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=proz&sherlock=yes&opensearch=yes&submitform=Search
... See more
Firefox 2.0 and Internet Explorer 7.0 now accept search plugins for search engines using the POST method, like ProZ.

I've made two search plugins, English-Spanish and Spanish-English, and you can find them here:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=proz&sherlock=yes&opensearch=yes&submitform=Search

Installing these will let you search ProZ from the search form in the top right corner of the browser.
Collapse

isantiesteban
isantiesteban
Local time: 18:35
English to Spanish
Making a personal ProZ search plugin for Firefox 2.0 or IE 7.0 Oct 31, 2006

I posted a quick set of instructions to make a ProZ search plugin for your personal use:

Here

[Editado a las 2006-10-31 16:25]

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bookmarks Toolbar did the trick Oct 31, 2006

The suggestion to use the Bookmarks Toolbar did the trick - thanks Mihai.

The other suggestion to use Yahoo! will be useful for people who stay logged into Yahoo! while they use their computers.

I haven't tested the third suggestion yet! I'll see if I can find a German-English version or would it be hard to create one myself?

Julian Reisenberger
Julian Reisenberger
Germany
Local time: 02:35
German to English
Quick fix for Kudoz Bar in Firefox 2 Nov 16, 2006

Well the Kudoz bar does work in firefox 2 (windows PC), it's just that it's install parameter file says it works with max-version up to v1.5, which is why firefox excludes it.

A quick workaround is to change this max-version value and then install the bar on firefox 2.0:

1. Download the .xpi file from www.proz.com/toolbar by right-clicking on it and choosing "save as..."

... See more
Well the Kudoz bar does work in firefox 2 (windows PC), it's just that it's install parameter file says it works with max-version up to v1.5, which is why firefox excludes it.

A quick workaround is to change this max-version value and then install the bar on firefox 2.0:

1. Download the .xpi file from www.proz.com/toolbar by right-clicking on it and choosing "save as..."

2. Rename the downloaded .xpi file to kudozbar_firefox_v2.xpi.jar (it may also work if you name it .zip)

3. Unzip it with winzip/winrar etc. You should have a folder called "chrome" and a file called "install.rdf"

4. Open the file called "install.rdf" in a text editor such as notepad or similar. Around line 20 there's the line < em:maxVersion >1.5+< /em:maxVersion >. Change 1.5+ to 2.0+ and save the file. Make sure it is still called install.rdf (i.e. no .txt on the end, take care if you have switched off file extensions showing in windows)

5. Zip up the install.rdf and the chrome folder. If in step 3 your zip-program created a subfolder, make sure you don't zip them up in the subfolder or it will not work.

6. Rename the new .zip file back to .xpi

7. Open the add-ons window/sidebar in firefox and drag the new .xpi file onto it. It should install.

8. Restart firefox. Right-click somewhere to right on the menu-bar to switch on the Kudoz bar.

I have only tested this briefly but it seems to work without any problems. Maybe the creator can test this and update the file appropriately.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 16, 2006

Thanks, I'll try that, too. So far the Firefox bookmarks toolbar option has been working well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ toolbar and Firefox 2.0

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »