Thread poster: xxxBBaur
xxxBBaur
United States
Local time: 20:37
English to German
+ ...
Oct 24, 2002

Hello,

I was just about to download Abbyy Fine Reader Home Edition from Amazon.com when I read at \"system requirements\" that a 100% twain-compatible scanner is needed.

Do I need the scanner to be able to download the software, or just in order to use Abbyy Fine Reader later on ? I don\'t have a scanner yet.

Thanks,

Birgit

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:37
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
You don't need a scanner for downloading the sw Oct 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-24 14:34, bbaur wrote:

Hello,

I was just about to download Abbyy Fine Reader Home Edition from Amazon.com when I read at \"system requirements\" that a 100% twain-compatible scanner is needed.

Do I need the scanner to be able to download the software, or just in order to use Abbyy Fine Reader later on ? I don\'t have a scanner yet.

Thanks,

Birgit

Surely the scanner is necessary only... to scan.

Most (if not even all) of them are TWAIN compatible.

Gianfranco

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:37
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Birgit, Oct 24, 2002

You don\'t need a scanner to use FineReader as a standalone application in case you have ready images for text recognition. Of course, you would need a scanner to scan something by yourself.

Best wishes,

Natalia

Michael Koch  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:37
English to German
+ ...
Abby Fine Reader Oct 24, 2002

Hallo Birgit,

um den Fine Reader herunterzuladen, brauchst Du natürlich keinen Scanner. Den Scanner benötigst Du, wenn Du eigene Dokumente nach einer automatischen Texterkennung (OCR) weiterbearbeiten möchtest. Es besteht auch die Möglichkeit, bereits gescannte Dokumente (z.B. im jpg- oder pdf-Format) in den Fine Reader zu laden, um sie zu verändern. Du kannst die neueste Version auch direkt von http://www.abbyy.com erhalten.

Gruß aus D

Michael

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:37
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
download the program Oct 24, 2002

You don\'t need any scanner to download or install the program. You may scan picture format files in your PC. But a scanner is a must when the resolution needs to be increased. Just try it with the files in your PC, it is my favourite OCR program.

xxxBBaur
United States
Local time: 20:37
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Oct 24, 2002

Many thanks for all your answers.

I just don\'t understand why they would mention the scanner as system requirement for download.

Thanks again,

Birgit

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbyy Fine Reader

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs