Mobile menu

Story Collector+Save For Service Provider (PageMaker 7)
Thread poster: Butyra
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:02
English to Russian
Oct 26, 2002

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen

They said that when translating PageMaker file, containing graphics, it is possible to use \"Save For Service

Provider\". I tried to create Package, it is rather easy. But, how to return that lost graphics in

translated story back? I have nothing come to hand!

Could you be so kind as to help me with it? Nobody can help me at all.

Thank you very much at advance!

P. S. Sorry for my English, It is not my mother tongue. I am Russian.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Never heard about "Export for serevice provider" Oct 26, 2002

What for would it be?

Working with Story Collector for PM is quite easy. You need to install it properly (it means to copy it from TRADOS installation folder to the folder, where PM is installed - and there into a folder named \"Plugins\").

After startíng PM you must open the file you want to translate. Then start the Story Collector (in german version you go to \"Otions\" \"Plugins\", but in other versions the names may vary). Then select \"Export\" (if you want to learn something about \"Story order\", refere to the help function of the story collector). You will be then prompted for a file name - the best is to choose the same file name as the orignal PM file, as it will be saved with a \"*.txt\" extension. That´s all for ecporting. Be sure to save the original PM file after exporting in order to be able to reimport the translated text afterwards.

Translate the text using TagEditor or convert it to rtf using FilterPack and translate it in Word. After the file is translated reconvert it to txt, if you translated it in Word, or save target file, if you use TagEditor (note, that saving the file billingual will not allow you to reimport it into PM, you must save the target - translated - file as a txt file).

After that open the original PM file you want to reimport translated text. Open StoryCollector and click \"Import\". Select the proper file for importing and import it.

Then you will see the translated text in the PM file AND all graphics where they were before. You will possibly need to edit the styles in order to get the proper font for your target language and make some formating to get the documet to look like it looked before, but it is all.

If you have never worked with PM before - try to make some changes on formating before exporting. Check, if the styles defined in the document are properly used and not changed afterwards - this may cause problems. Check if all paragraphs are formated with styles. If any paragraph has no style attached, define a new one with the settings of this paragraph and attach it to this paragraph, as text without style may cause problems by reimporting.

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Save for Service provider Oct 28, 2002

Save for Service Provider (also referred to as Package, or Print Package) is a PM function that stores the PM file plus all files necessary for a service bureau to correctly print the file in a single folder, which will then include the PM file, all graphics and image files linked to the document, fonts, cutomised setting files (i.e. custom tracking, hyphenation dictionaries, kerning curves, etc.).

Depending on the nature of the PM file, images and graphic files can be embedded in the PM file (so no external files will be needed nor created in the package folder) or linked (and if the correct files have been supplied with the PM document, then these will be included in the PM file).

To find out if an image is embedded or linked, select the image on your page, then right-click on it and choose Link Options from the context menu. Here you will see the actual filename; if the 1st option is checked (something like Store a copy in the publication\"), the file is embedded -- so you will not find it in the Package folder. If this option is not checked, the file is not embedded and, if it was available when saving for the service bureau, you will find it in your package folder. (If it was not available, then you need to ask the client for it.)

Another way of getting the original filename is to select the image, right-click and choose Link Info from the context menu: in this dialog box you should get the full path and filename of the original image.

If you need to edit the image and re-place it in the PM file, make sure that the Update Automatically option in the Link Options dialog box is checked. Next time you open the file, the updated image will be slotted in its original place.

Does this help? If you can be more specific about your problem, I may be able to give you more precise information on how to solve it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Story Collector+Save For Service Provider (PageMaker 7)

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs