Mobile menu

New thing in my profile - "Access: Guest" (staff: 'changed text to "User"')
Thread poster: Ruxi

Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2006

What is that supposed to be?
Are non-members now guests?
The offer for buying a membership is already there with the button "join now".
I don't like the idea, it is to agresive marketing and I feel hurt.
There are so few jobs on this site offered, especially for many rare languages.
I don't have jobs, so no money for a membership.
Most of the users are probably in the same situation: just trying to get a position and clients as freelancers and do not have money for a membership.
Please respect our feelings, our pain, we already feel like a second class translators/users.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I have the same thing. Nov 14, 2006

This morning I also found the same thing on my profile. I think the site staff should provide us with clear explanation concerning the new feature.

Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:32
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Access: Guest Nov 14, 2006

Yes,
an explanation would be good
I always thought that people who are neither paying members nor registered users are guests.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
From "user" to "guest"? Nov 14, 2006

I remember a long discussion a few months ago about the new denomination of paying and non-paying site users, where paying users were to be called "members" and non-paying users were to be called just that: "users".

Did I miss an episode?

justin C
United States
Local time: 10:32
English
We have used "user" and "guest" to describe non-members Nov 14, 2006

Hello everyone,

Excuse the terminology switch up. ProZ.com staff has been using both "site user" and "guest" to describe non-members.

In case any of you are wondering, Ruxi is describing the new row(s) in the login box that say 'Access', and if you are a member, 'Expires'.

We have received suggestions in the past to put membership expiration dates in a more convenient and visible place, which is why these two rows were added to the login box. This also gives a clear indication to what your account level is currently set to (full member, partial member, user, etc).

So if you see guest interchanged with user by staff or moderators, please do not be alarmed, we use them both

Best regards,
Justin

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Not alarmed but... Nov 14, 2006

justin wrote:

Hello everyone,

Excuse the terminology switch up. ProZ.com staff has been using both "site user" and "guest" to describe non-members.

So if you see guest interchanged with user by staff or moderators, please do not be alarmed, we use them both

Best regards,
Justin

Wasn't alarmed or flumoxed but irked. The atmospherics around Member/Partial Member or User already have palpable differences. When I saw "guest", it just underscored to me how some may perceive non-paying contributors. I choose the word "contributor" consciously as many non-members give as much as they may benefit from their presence on these web pages.

In fact, "participant" or "contributor" sounds more friendly and respectful than "user" for those who are not just here to "get" but also to "give".

Food for thought....

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New thing in my profile - "Access: Guest" (staff: 'changed text to "User"')

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs